Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I show "Start date" in Jira Product Discovery issues?

Rabeeh Adwan May 22, 2024

I want to be able to see the "Start date" in Jira Product Discovery issues so I can change them in order to have them reflect on an advanced road map.

1 answer

0 votes
Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2024

Hi @Rabeeh Adwan ,

This should be possible if you have the Start date field selected within the view.

I assume you are referring to a roadmap / board view - like in the example below, I've selected both the Start and End date fields:

startdate1.jpeg

Please note these fields need to be configured within the idea for them to populate within the preview of the idea within the view.

Example 6 has both the Start and End dates configured, while Example 9 and Example 4 are missing one of these dates configured - so the field that is missing a value does not appear.

Hope that helps! 

Rabeeh Adwan May 22, 2024

Hello @Nick H , this is true, I can add those fields as they are custom fields for JPD, but they will not be the same as the "Start date" for a plan in advanced road map. Eventually we will not be able to the timeline in a plan since it relies on the Locked "Start date" field of Jira and not the custom field we added to JPD.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2024

Hi @Rabeeh Adwan ,

Thank you for clarifying. Typically I suggest using an automation to map JPD idea dates-fields to Jira delivery date-fields when the delivery is created. That automation might look something like this:

date1.jpeg

The values entered in the delivery Start date and End date fields above use string processing to extract the values from my JPD Project start and Project target fields - which are custom to my project.

{{destinationIssue.customfield_00000.substringBetween("\"start\":\"","\",\"end\"")}}

You can follow this doc to find your JPD field IDs: How to find any custom field's IDs

^ This step isn't necessarily needed, but helps with transparency and alignment from the product and dev teams.

On top of that, I also typically suggest using the Autofill dates option in JPD - so when the linked delivery date-fields are edited (after the delivery has been created), updates to the delivery date-fields will automatically map back to the JPD date-fields:

date2.jpeg

Again, the automation aspect of this response is not needed, but helps map the JPD date-fields to the Jira delivery date-fields - since the Autofill toggle does not map JPD -> Jira. It only maps Jira -> JPD when updates are made to the Jira date-fields.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you are looking for something else.

Rabeeh Adwan May 23, 2024

Hello @Nick H 
I got the ID of the "Start Date (JPD)" field that I have created in JPD -> 10191.

I created a rule in JPD that when "Start Date (JPD)" is changed, I want to edit the issue, update "Start date"

rule.png

However, when I changed the value of "Start Date (JPD)" from the JPD issue, I got the below error in the rule audit log:

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 3.20.45 PM.png

I used the following SET: 

{{destinationIssue.customfield_10191.substringBetween("\"start\":\"","\",\"end\"")}}

I'm not sure that this is the right context. I also tried the following and got the same error:

{{Issue.customfield_10191}}

My objective is to set an automation to copy the value of "Start Date (JPD)" which is a global field created in JPD of type "Date" into the default locked field "Start date" (Same field that is used in Advanced Roadmap to show the issue on the timeline.

Nick H
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2024

Hi @Rabeeh Adwan ,

Two things to check based on that error:

1) Does the automation's Scope have both the JPD and Jira projects selected, or extend to the projects globally? 

The Scope needs to have both the JPD and Jira projects added somehow - through Multiple projects or Globally:

scope.jpeg

2) If the Scope is includes both the JPD and Jira projects, we would suggest editing the Actor of the rule, and changing it to another user that has JPD product access:

scope.jpeg

After adjusting the Actor to someone besides the A4J (Automation for Jira) user, try retesting. If the following test is successful, then it's most likely a permission issue with the A4J user, and them not having the correct JPD permissions.

Unfortunately this cannot be controlled on your end, and A4J permissions need to be added / adjusted through Atlassian support - so you would want to open a ticket here: 

https://support.atlassian.com/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events