Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automations for date fields

Neta Ilany May 15, 2023

When using Automation rules on Ideas, I noticed that date fields on the Idea issue type are not available for automation rules. 

The use case:

We have a custom field "Sprint start" (sprint number; select field), which we use to indicate in which sprint this Idea will start, as part of the HL planning. 

I would like to "translate" these values into a specific date, by setting an automated rule (if Sprint Start = "1" then start date is 1/1/2024). This will enable Ideas to be visible on the timeline view, which uses DATES as input.

Currently, date fields are not supported in automation rules on Ideas.

Is this expected to change anytime soon?

@Tanguy Crusson

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Neta Ilany it's not in our immediate plans to make improvements to Automation capabilities, though we have noted your issue for us to address when we work on this area in the future. I suspect the limitation here is that dates in Jira Product Discovery are actually a text field under the hood, we did this so we can support date ranges (eg. Delivery in Q1 instead of Jan 1 2023).

In case you haven't seen it already, here's a post with our supported Automations: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Product-demo-Automation-for-Delivery/ba-p/2057152

Christian Prats July 20, 2023

Hi @Rohan Swami
Any news on making dates in JPD actual dates so we can query them?

Thanks

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2023

@Christian Prats this isn't in our short term plans at the moment

Like Christian Prats likes this
0 votes
František Soudek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 26, 2024

@Neta Ilany @Rohan Swami @Christian Prats  Figured out workaround:

First you want to find the name of your custom field you use in product discovery for date you want to set. You can follow this tutorial: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/ 

Once you have your custom field, you can set its value inside "More options" on create or edit issue action.

Snímek obrazovky 2024-02-26 v 18.07.26.png

The format is following:

If you want the date to be from 2024-02-04 to 2024-02-05:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10185": "{\"start\":\"2024-02-04\",\"end\":\"2024-02-05\"}"
}
}
}

If you want the date to be set to 2024-02-04:

{
"customfield_10185": "{\"start\":\"2024-02-04\",\"end\":\"2024-02-04\"}"
}
}
}

If you want to use smart values (be sure to have it formatted right):

{
"customfield_10185": "{\"start\":\"{{triggerIssue.duedate}}\",\"end\":\"{{triggerIssue.duedate}}\"}"
}
}
}

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events