Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read this if you're a site administrator and just added Jira Product Discovery Free or Standard

66 comments

Comment

Emily Tran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 1, 2023

Question re: Billing - I see that we will be charged for 247 'users' but we only have 10 folks with 'Creator' roles. Shouldn't we only be charged for those 10? Everyone else is a 'Contributor'

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 4, 2023

@Emily Tran This is likely because you have added certain groups to Jira Product Discovery, other than the 10 creators. In particular, please make sure that the Contributors user group hasn't been added to Jira Product Discovery, those users can be contributors without the group being added.

James Scholey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 9, 2023

Hi, @Tanguy Crusson 

We are trying to move from the beta to the free plan before the deadline. We have configured access so that we have only 3 creators and also disabled access for site-admins.

In Product Access by Jira Product Discovery it correctly displays `3 Licensed Users`

However when  we go to the billing information it shows 8 users and will not allow us to activate the plan change. 

I followed the Loom you created regarding the incorrect count issue, however when I click the 8 it only shows the 3 users.

Is this a bug?

EDIT: I added another creator to the product access group now and the count in billing remains at 8 instead of increasing to 9 so I suspect something is not updating correctly?

Many thanks

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2023

@James Scholey there's sometimes a bit of lag with the numbers updating, I've checked our records and your numbers should be in sync now. Please ensure that you also don't have trusted users who have product access. If you still have issues please raise a support ticket via Give feedback in the bottom left corner of the left-nav in Jira Product Discovery.

Like • James Scholey likes this
Amy Lorenz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 11, 2023

Question on new users: 

We add new users through a Powershell script - it only adds these users to the 4 default groups - none of which are the default Jira Product Discovery group or any other group associated with that tool (as we currently only use the default group for the tool). All of these newly added users are provided access to Jira Product Discovery by default. 

Any idea on how to remove this? I've searched through groups as noted in the Loom video for removing Site Admins, but I'm not finding anywhere that a regular User (with the Basic role) would be auto-added to Jira Product Discovery.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 11, 2023

@Amy Lorenz Any user who is a User for Jira Software, Jira Service Management or Jira Work Management is automatically a contributor in Jira Product Discovery, not a full user. This gives them access to Open and Limited projects in Jira Product Discovery, but they're not given Creators. I think that's what's happening here. You can check for those users by going Administration > Directory > Selecting a user who shouldn't have access, and then seeing if Jira Product Access is one of the products they have access to.

Amy Lorenz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 11, 2023

@Rohan Swami thank you for the context. Is there a way to disable this? We don't want everyone in the company on these tools while we're piloting them and may not want everyone in them in the future at all.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 12, 2023

@Amy Lorenz the best option here would be to make your projects in Jira Product Discovery private. In project in Jira Product Discovery in the left panel select Project settings > Access > Change project access to Private.

Nick Jones August 13, 2023

@Rohan Swami thanks for the comment re making the projects private to limit access. We've needed to do this, as we have a range of suppliers and customers in different projects in jira.

Unfortunately, by locking down product discovery projects as private, the Delivery feature can no longer access these private projects, even if the user has creator access in both projects. Wondering, is this an intended behaviour?

saje August 14, 2023

What about the Automation for Jira user? Does it count as billable and how can we make it part of Jira Product?  As per this video it should be possible to automate workflow across project but on my setup, Automation for Jira cannot transition ideas because of lack of permission and I do not know where to give it permission.

I have been told to join this group to get answers to my automation issue with Jira Product.  Original post can be found here.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2023

@Nick Jones if your Product Discovery project is private, it won't affect your ability to see delivery progress data from Jira Software in the delivery tab of an idea in Product Discovery. In Jira Software, you'll still be able to see the idea from Product Discovery as a linked issue.

@saje please create a support ticket for your Automation question. Apologies, it's difficult to de-bug an automation problem in the thread of a Community post on another topic.

Like • saje likes this
Nick Jones August 14, 2023

thanks @Rohan Swami for your quick response. the issue I'm having is a little different - i'm trying to connect ideas across two discovery projects. So for an idea in one project, I want to add delivery items, some of which are ideas in another discovery project. If this second project, the one providing the delivery ideas, is private, I can't see it from the first discovery project.

I can send through some screen shots to show it not working. perhaps there's somewhere more appropriate to do that though?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2023

@Nick Jones I see you've concurrently reached us through our Give feedback button, let's continue the discussion there.

Shelley Richardson August 15, 2023

I'm unable to grant access to Product discovery for specific Site Administrators.  Me and my boss are both Site Admins, but cannot edit our own access.  Who can turn on JPD for us?

JPD Site Admin.pngJPD project access.png

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2023

@Shelley Richardson another Org admin should be able to make the change to give you the correct access. If you don't have another org admin, you can:

• Promote another site admin to org admin.
  • Have the new org admin, demote you to a site admin.
  • If they still cant toggle JPD on, then demote you to Basic.
  • Once this is done and JPD is toggled on, the org admin can give you your org admin privileges back.

@Rohan Swami thanks for the quick response!  As Org Admin, I should be able to grant access to Nef, who is a Site Admin.  Yet, as mentioned, I'm not able to make any changes to his access.  I was able to drop him to Basic, add JPD, then make him Site Admin again, but this is quite a work around for what seems to be a bug.

@Rohan Swami we followed your steps but now my other Org Admin cannot find a way to grant me access to Org Admin again.  I'm not just in a Trusted role.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2023

@Shelley Richardson looks like you have a snowflake situation. Could you please create a support ticket and we'll help you out:

1. From a Product Discovery project, left sidebar: Give feedback
  2. Select "Get help from the Support team"
Fred Turkington
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 16, 2023

I have Contributors who are trying to link objects in another project to ROAD. 

We couldn't link the issue

You don't have permission to link this issue. Please contact your Jira administrator for assistance.

Do we really need users to have the full Creator license in order to just link issues?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2023

@Fred Turkington yes you do (basically: creators can edit ideas, contributors can't). 

As a workaround, you could ask them to add these issues as insights maybe?

Nick Neuman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 22, 2023

Can not begin to explain how infuriating it was to navigate the admin settings to switch from beta to a real plan. Terrible and convoluted UX.

Like • Emily Tran likes this
Jan Kühne August 25, 2023

Hi there, just installed JPD some time ago. So far, I've tried to get past the user limitation of the free version. Unfortunately, we have too many Trusted / Site Admin users in the company. So that the free licenses are immediately occupied. Is there another way that doesn't require downgrading all these users?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 25, 2023

Hi @Jan Kühne you can remove JPD access for site admins, but trusted users need to have their role downgraded to remove their access. Instructions below:

Site admins will count as billable users by default, here's how to change that

If you just added Jira Product Discovery to your site, you'll notice that all site administrators have been given product access to the product - and consume a license. This is because whenever a site administrator adds a new Atlassian product to a site, the site-admins user group is automatically given access to this product. 

To fix this, remove access to Jira Product Discovery from the site-admins user group. You can then give product access to the people (product managers) you want to try the product instead.

This video shows you how to do it.

Trusted users will count as billable users by default

Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also use a license for all products on site. The only workaround in this case is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admins, after removing product access from the site-admins group.

Jan Kühne August 28, 2023

Hi @Rohan Swami

thanks for your answer. I know this video and I tried before, also in various ways. But my screen looks different, and I can not remove access to JPD in here..

Administration.png

Like • Casey Gould likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2023

@Jan Kühne there are a few reasons why you may have more users with access. I've tried to cover the different cases here: Check out this video 

That being said, usually it's because product access was added to the wrong group, for example if you added product access to the jira-product-discovery-contributors group

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events