Product update: what's coming up in Jira Product Discovery

Hi everyone, It's been a while since we shared one of these updates - as you'll be able to see in this demo, we've been busy! I apologize in advance for the length of the video (14 minutes) but I didn't have the time to make it shorter 😅

In here I'm discussing 3 things that are coming up:

• The ability to share views with people who don't have a Jira license (internal stakeholders, customers, users) - for which we've just started delivery
  • (from 02:20) An integration with Atlas so you can have goals as a first party object, and send regular updates about the status of goals and projects (the ideas that made the cut)
  • (from 08:30) A timeline view / board view hybrid so you're able to communicate monthly / quarterly roadmaps

For the timeline view we're exploring concepts to to help you have more control over how you communicate commitments. One of those concepts looks something like this - i.e. "things get pretty uncertain if you look too much in the future":

image (41).png

As usual we welcome your feedback!

PS: yes, we've heard you and know that a timeline view isn't for everyone, and you don't have to use it if you're happy with list/matrix/board views to prioritize problems/opportunities/solutions/ideas and communicate product roadmaps. E.g. we don't plan to use it in the Jira Product Discovery team but talk to many teams every week who communicate commitments this way. 

35 comments

Comment

Will Le October 4, 2022

Hey Tanguy

I think the timeline would be super useful for some of our use cases. What would be next level is to some how incorporate ideas across multiple projects in this timeline view that you could filter bases on certain attributes.

My use case would be each product has its own project however as a portfolio manager or senior stakeholder I would like to holistically see all my companies ideas in the one timeline and perhaps categorized by a field e.g high priority ideas.

Loving everything with Jira product discovery so far.

Thanks

Will Le

Like # people like this
Tosha Liveoak October 4, 2022

Thank you for these updates!

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Sebastiaan Terpstra October 4, 2022

If there's a waitlist for the early access to the timeline, you can put me on it ;) 

Like # people like this
Jonathan Hau October 4, 2022

I'm so happy the Atlassian team has decided to put these features up next. I'm very much looking forward to using the share feature and Atlas (Goals and Project) features in JPD!

Like # people like this
Chris Timms
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2022

+1 for the timeline beta access @Tanguy Crusson great update!

Troy Cope October 4, 2022

Timeline view in quarters makes much more sense.... we don't really need a timeline view of the actual discovery work activities, as this is very iterative (test / learn). What we need is more of a Product roadmap by quarter that provides visibility of when the ideas that make the cut need to be delivered by over time. This will provide the engineering teams visibility of what ideas / opportunities are coming up, and roughly when they need to be executed on etc. So it's more of a product vision roadmap, of how the product will evolve over the coming quarters to meet is strategy / objectives. Hope that makes sense.  

Matt Lane October 4, 2022

Liking the look of the new Timeline view thus far! We often get questions from product teams around this type of view, who are starting to use the JPD beta.

It would be great to have the ability to be able to see Ideas from multiple JPD projects in the one JPD project, so stakeholders at top of our organisational structure can get a birds eye view of all the biggest Ideas that are currently being undertaken, and see where they sit in the scheme of things regards their development and delivery over coming months or year, etc. from a high level perspective.

Thanks for the demo! Much appreciated.

Matt

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2022

@Matt Lane @Will Le it's something we have on the roadmap for later. There will be some implications to be able to do that: 

• First we need to make sure that fields can be shared across projects
  • Then we need to do some work so we can pull data from multiple projects
  • And then you'll be able to create views that show ideas from different projects - but only using the fields that are shared across projects. 

Anyway it's not for right now, but definitely something we want to do (and at some point my bet is larger customers will be screaming for this 😅)

Like # people like this
Jan-Hendrik Spieth October 5, 2022

Interesting news, @Tanguy Crusson !

Timeline views look interesting!

We're already Roadmaps in Jira. Spontaneously speaking, I'm wondering whether we would maybe want to replace the Jira roadmap work with a more general planning in JPD that doesn't focus so much on development. Would be great to try this out.

Also, our decision so far was to start with one JPD project that covers all our products, because there are so much similarities in the feature set. However, the timelines/schedules of the products do differ.

How does the timeline view handle things when several issues/epics relate to an idea, with differing start/end dates?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 5, 2022

Thanks for the feedback @Jan-Hendrik Spieth.

You could create different date fields for start/end dates, that back different timeline views for the same feature but different products.

e.g. 4 date fields that you'd use in 2 different views:

• View 1: "Roadmap for Product X"
    • Start date field: "Start (Product X)"
    • End date field: "End (Product X)"
  • View 2: "Roadmap for Product Y"
    • Start date field: "Start (Product Y)"
    • End date field: "End (Product Y)"
  • Any change you make in one view will not impact the other

What the system wouldn't support straight out of the gate would be to show on each product's roadmap the features that are shared between the products (e.g. a platform component) - initially you'd need to set their dates in both views. Maybe something we could solve via formulas on dates later.

I'm also not sure yet how that would work if you want to use the linked Epic's start/end dates - if you have one idea linked to different epics, one for each product. 

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
Michelle Grady October 5, 2022

Exciting to see timeline view and Atlas integrations, would love early access when it's available.

Like @Will Le I also would like to know if there's any future plans on how to view multiple JPD. Currently we have setup a JDP project for each portfolio of products/program and a different roadmap view for each of our pods. Somewhat like how Advance Roadmap aggregates a view across projects. 

Like # people like this
Jan-Hendrik Spieth October 6, 2022

Thanks @Tanguy Crusson Your idea for having roadmap fields and separate views for each product's specific timeline works, of course.

But as you can see from other comments, like @Michelle Grady's, this or the other way, at some point at some place, we might want to see sth that "aggregates" the time info across projects. Be it in a single JPD project, or across several.

Leaving the "separate projects" context aside and speaking generally:

Because an idea can have several delivery links, I do think the timeline view should also be able to cope with start/end dates from several Jira issues, and accumulate them in some way.

If it wasn't able to, I'd expect some confusion, actually. If an idea has several delivery "todos", all their start/end dates matter, right? The idea can't just use the dates from one of the issues (which one? the first?).

So maybe you can discuss it with the team, and keep us posted about your conclusions? Thanks again! :-)

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 6, 2022

Noted re: cross-project views - we have it on the roadmap for later. 

On the delivery dates front: let me turn the question back to you 😉 How would you expect that to work based on your context? What do you link to ideas in the delivery panel, and how would you expect that to inform the progress/timeframe of what's on the roadmap?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2022

Thanks for the information, @Tanguy Crusson 

The new timeline view would seem to help with this question I asked earlier about date filtering of older ideas (see below).  Will we need to request access for this new view, or will it be available to all those customers already in the Jira Product Discovery beta?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-questions/filter-board-view-by-date-in-Jira-Product-Discovery/qaq-p/2135283

Thanks again!

Ally Akbarzadeh October 6, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson this timeline view looks promising, but it's not useful for external comms without more design attention. To credibly "tell a story" about our roadmap to board, execs and customers, we'd need something approaching the design polish of Roadmunk: 

2022-10-07 09_52_25-Product roadmapping tool for product managers and 5 more pages - Work - Microsof.png2022-10-07 09_54_15-Program Roadmap - Template and Examples _ Roadmunk and 5 more pages - Work - Mic.png
Is this on the agenda?

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 6, 2022

Thanks for the feedback @Ally Akbarzadeh . Just so we're clear with what you need, what are the aspects in what you shared that help you tell a better story? Thanks!

Ally Akbarzadeh October 7, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson your designs for the timeline view ideas are basically the same as for your Kanban boards (configurable cards) , with the added ability to resize them horizontally.

Each idea takes up too much vertical real estate, is not efficiently designed (e.g. not every field on the card needs a label ... or why have fields at all on the timeline cards?) and is not aesthetically pleasing. In Compare your timeline view to the second screenshot I shared from Roadmunk. Roadmunks is clean, minimal, visually appealing, has nice horizontal swimlane colouring and spacing, and doesn't show unnecessary chrome. 

How to charaterise the current timeline design? Utilitarian and grey. Roadmunk's: engaging and pleasing.

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2022

OK thanks @Ally Akbarzadeh , so basically: aesthetics and information density. Got it!

Like # people like this
maxencetaieb October 7, 2022

Interested to test the share views and the timeline views when it will be available for early adopters :) 

Keep up the good work! 

Ivor October 12, 2022

Love the timeline views, please add me in for early adopters! =)

Ally Akbarzadeh October 12, 2022

Cheers @Tanguy Crusson. Aesthetics aside, still keen to test timelines as an early adopter at pexa.atlassian.net. No doubt we can feed more detailed feedback after a play around. 

Jan-Hendrik Spieth October 13, 2022

@Tanguy Crussonwe started experimenting with Atlas - please count us in on early access, thanks!

Ákos Botos October 13, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson

Can you give us a hint when the Atlas integration will land?

Cheers,

Ákos

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2022

@Ákos Botos and everyone: we've started dogfooding it and it's working great so far. So it shouldn't be too long now.

Like # people like this
Dez-Luan October 13, 2022

Hi @Tanguy Crusson ,

I'm super stoked about the ability to share views with users outside of JIRA. Do you have an ETA for this feature delivery?

Best,

Dez

Like Michael Colliver likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events