cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filter board view by date in Jira Product Discovery

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

Greetings, community!

Board views in Jira Product Discovery show columns by a field, such as date field, and can be filtered apparently by any non-text or non-date fields. 

With date-based columns they appear to display with the earliest entries to the project...regardless of any board filters selected.  I do not see a way to add a filter by a date field, such as "myDateField >= startOfMonth()" or a fixed date.  (For example, to create a rolling roadmap.)

The impact is older columns display and one must scroll far to the right to see current ideas in recent columns.

How can the board be filtered by date, such that only the most recent, and board-filtered content display?

1 answer

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2022

@Bill Sheboy boards based on date fields are pretty much useless today. 

We're actually in the middle of changing all this, starting with the introduction of a new type of date field: 

image (38).png

This one we'll build support for filtering for, and make it so board columns are actually usable 😊

For example: 

Screenshot 2022-09-15 at 09.29.39.png

It's going to be delivered bit by bit.

Can you please share a bit more about what you use a board backed by a date field for?

Jan-Hendrik Spieth September 15, 2022

Bill's feedback caught my attention.

I also see the need for a "better" date field, for our work. Better as in, works for sorting and filtering views.

One of our use cases would be find/visualize oldest ideas, specifically, as potential candidates for cleanup/discarding.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2022

Thanks for the honest views on this feature, @Tanguy Crusson 

What you describe for the new type of date field would help; perhaps the missing part is what I described about how filters work with views:

• Given I am using a board view with date-based columns,
  • When filtering the board on the column field (which is not currently possible for date fields),
  • Then any empty left-most columns are not displayed,
  • So that the view accurately represents the filter criteria.

I believe the only work-around is to delete or archive ideas so the view cannot "see" them for display.  If you know of another solution I would welcome learning more.

Dave Perini September 15, 2022

@Tanguy Crusson  A new type of custom date field would be awesome for use cases such as capturing and filtering by project targets, like in your screenshots.

However, for me personally it would be even more valuable to be able to filter/sort views (usually List views more than Boards, to be honest) by auto-calculated date fields such as "Date Created" and "Last Modified". Would these happen to be included in the upcoming change(s) you're teasing?

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2022

@Bill Sheboy thanks. One thing that would help me is: what do you use this board for / what's your scenario? Same question for @Dave Perini actually!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2022

We would use such a board as a card-based roadmap view of when idea will deliver to production.  This seems better than the Gantt-like view in Jira roadmaps, which is more relevant in conversations for dependency and capacity issues.

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2022

In what ways do you think it's better than the Jira roadmaps @Bill Sheboy ? Thanks!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2022

Unlike the basic roadmap's Gantt-like view, a card-based view on a timeline (i.e. board) allows configuration of the card contents and seeing where the work is forecasted to complete, without seeing the duration time bar.  In addition, if this worked from Jira Product Discovery board views, the new filtering capabilities are far better than those for basic roadmaps.

In my opinion, both types of views have value for different needs.

Like Jonathan Hau likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events