cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting contributors create ideas in a Jira Product Discovery project

146 comments

Comment

Selena Cummock April 13, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson , I hope you all never turn this new feature off.  It is absolutely perfect for my stakeholders and we are already training them on how to use it going forward. :) Please thank your team for us! :)

Like # people like this
Jens Godat April 13, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson - thanks for switching us on. I toggled the switch to enable one of our projects at reprisk.atlassian.net ((Client Solutions Roadmap) to allow contributors to submit ideas, but even after I made sure I have all possible roles assigned, I cannot see the "Submit an idea" button in the left hand navigation of the main project view. Could you check?

Edit: Project access is set to limited @CC 

Like Stephen Wood likes this
CC April 13, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson   We had the project access "open" so I couldnt see the button.  Once we "limited" the project access it worked like a charm.  

Second Q - Any ballpark on the new "create an idea" button will be an option for 

-Creator/Admin

-Creator/Member

-Contributor/Member

-Stakeholder (phase 2 and a lower priority for me right now.)  I think Contributor/Viewer will meet our immediate needs.

Tim F April 13, 2023

Let me know if this opens up again or gets updated to the current version!

CC April 13, 2023

@Jens Godat I had same issue.  Double check the project level permissioning.  I had mine set to open.  Set to limited.  

Capture.JPG

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2023

OK cool, thanks everyone, we tried to make it as simple as possible within the constraints of operating in the Jira permission system (20 year old product!)

So, yes: only contributors for this project will see this button. Which, technically, means:

• If you have the "create an idea" and "edit an idea" permissions, we show you the inline creation buttons (as you were using up until now)
  • if you have the "submit an idea" permission (which, technically, gives you the "create an idea" permission without the "edit an idea" permission), then you see the "submit an idea" button

Here's how it works for open vs limited vs closed projects:

• Open: anyone who is a Creator in the site (anyone with product access to Jira Product Discovery) can be a creator in the project. Meaning they can create and edit ideas, so they don't see the "submit an idea" button but the full creator version
  • Limited: you decide who is a creator in the project. everyone else gets the "submit an idea" button
  • Closed: you decide who is a creator, and who is a contributor

Please keep this feedback coming!

Like Jens Godat likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2023

@CC : by the way we're renaming the default project roles:

• Viewer --> Contributor
  • Team Member --> Creator
  • Administrator stays as is

The button will be for contributor/viewer.

Or, really, any custom role that you create that has the "submit an idea" permission and not the "edit an idea" permission

Like CC likes this
Rob April 13, 2023

https://windfalldata.atlassian.net/

Thanks! Also one suggestion - it'd be great to have a form that is accessible via a directly link for those whom want to submit ideas, but less familiarity with JIRA.

For example, for ticket submissions we use direct links like this one https://windfalldata.atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssueDetails!init.jspa?pid=10101&issuetype=10101&summary=Audience%20Construction%20-&labels=Customer-Request&labels=New-Audience&priority=3, which provides a full page experience for the submitter. They don't have to worry about navigating through JIRA to get access to submit a ticket this way.

We, specifically, include these links from a primary confluence page. It's where I would imagine including such a link for creating ideas from as well.

I may use this same approach for our Product Discovery submissions, but it'd be much nicer to use this functionality to support submission instead.

Like Peter Heidorn likes this
Joshua Vermillion April 13, 2023

Please add: 

https://streetlightdata.atlassian.net/

We love this tool!

Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2023
Jeny Stoeva April 14, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson , 

Can you please enable it also for https://adverity.atlassian.net

Thanks!

María Ferreño April 14, 2023

I am late :(
I would also love to try it :(
Any progress from those of you who are already testing this feature?
One doubt, why not enable Forms which works so well and customers are already used to using it?

THANKS! 

Mike Bassick April 14, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Working on getting this set up, but folks can't see the Submit an Idea button.

1. I have the 'Any user on this site can contribute to Jira Product Discovery projects' access set under Jira Product Discovery - Access
  2. Access within the JPD project is set to Limited
  3. The All Jira Users group within the project is set to Viewer 
  4. Users are not able to see the button

Am I missing a step?

Jamie Newcomb April 14, 2023
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

@Mike Bassick I checked and it's turned on for you.

Go to Project Settings > Access. Can you please confirm if the default project access: Open, Limited or Private? 

If it's "Open" you might want to change it to "Limited". The people who aren't explicitly in the list of creators on the project will see the "submit an idea" button. 

If the project is set to "Open" then anyone who has been given product access to Jira Product Discovery (a license) will be able to create and edit all ideas in the project directly (instead of having to go through the form)

----

Everyone else: thank you, as explained in the blog and throughout the comments section we already have enough beta testers, we will give everyone else access to this feature at a later date (shouldn't be long)

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

Damn, I missed one! Thank you, will do!

Mike Bassick April 14, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Access within the JPD project is set to Limited (see screen shot).  Just confirmed with another Jira user (not a creator in JPD) that the button is not visible.

Screen Shot 2023-04-14 at 1.49.18 PM.png 

Here is the screenshot they sent me:

IMG_4415.jpg

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

@Mike Bassick damn ok, and you turned on the feature in project settings > idea submission?

If so could you please book time here so we can look at it together? https://calendly.com/tcrusson/15min-meeting

Like Mike Bassick likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 14, 2023

@Mike Bassick oh one last thing: could you please look at the configuration of the "Viewer" project role (where you can configure project roles in the Access screen) and check if it has the "Submit idea" permission selected? We've done this across all sites but maybe yours got missed somehow

Like Mike Bassick likes this
Vincent Westerhof April 17, 2023

privacyperfect.atlassian.net

Thanks!

Len Bergman April 17, 2023

Thanks @Tanguy Crusson 

This looks like a great feature.  Please let me know when you will be adding additional people, I would like to try it out.

Mike Bassick April 17, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Thanks for the time this morning.  The fix worked!  Our Viewers can now see the button.  Thanks!

Nicole Aviv April 18, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I would really like to try this out we need need it for our team. Thanks!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events