Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known limitations of Jira Product Discovery

68 comments

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

Mike Gargano October 20, 2023

@Hermance NDounga so I went with the checkbox solution which is fine, but I hate that I had to create a custom field for such an action verses how it is in the Jira Software UI where I can just choose the action I want to run from a drop down menu of options. Imagine I need a dozen of these how cumbersome that would become on the ticket. Luckily for my current use case I only need one, but who's to say how many I will need in the future.

The reason the creation needs to be manual and not automatic based on status change or a field change is because in some situations my product team needs to create delivery tickets for other teams outside of the normal flow. In most scenarios I can automate based on fields selected on the ticket and a status change transition. I can predict who the delivery ticket needs to be created for and have automation built around that, but there are scenarios where the Product Manager might need to assign additional work to teams outside of the typical process because of the specific needs of their initiative. When that occurs they have to spend time manually creating that delivery ticket and manually copying information over from the ticket in JPD. If an automation exist that they can manually run it can do the bulk of that manual work for them as well as well as prompt them for additional information needed for ticket creation it would save them tons of valuable time. 

So while I appreciate the work around I hardly consider it a long-term solution for this use case.

Kate November 7, 2023

Hi @Hermance NDounga 

Loving JPD so far, just a little feedback re; Team-Managed/Shared Configuration. Our team have started setting up a number of teams and it has been noted that when attempting to compile/export Idea's, it can be quite difficult as we have ended up with 10 or so identical "Project Start" and "Project Target" date fields that a user has to find the correct one for their project to pull the information. Hopefully this won't be an issue for long as we are trying to imbed a new way of working (use views in-tool as opposed to exporting data into Dashboards or external reporting tools).

We are quite lucky in that our Jira only has Company-Managed spaces, so this has caused some confusion with users. It may be a real value-add to have some of those core fields seen as "Shared" config items across Jira. 

Other than that, would be very interested to see if there are any publicly available roadmaps of some of the cool ideas/features that you are working towards in JPD.

Like # people like this
Irina_Bel{Stiltsoft}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 5, 2024

Hi team,

Is there any update on when it will be possible to integrate JPD with the marketplace apps on Atlassian Connect?

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2024

@Kate we are currently working on bringing Global fields in Jira Product Discovery, so stay tuned ;) 

Like Kate likes this
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 8, 2024

@Irina_Bel{Stiltsoft} this is not yet part of the roadmap for the next 6 month, but we will consider this in the future

Sam Hepworth January 9, 2024

Thanks for the overview. IMHO one of the biggest problems are:

1) We cannot backup/clone our JPD projects. Cloning would save us from doing a ton of configuration for each project (fields, views, automation, workflows, etc.).

2) View changes affect ALL when they are saved. Our team of creators is growing and even after turning of "auto-save view changes" we constantly annoy our colleagues by saving changes to views (often by accident) since the save dialog says "You have unsaved changes" and we think it is unsaved changes to ideas not the view.

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2024

Hi all, we will soon be able to remove one limitation from this list: you'll soon be able to reuse fields across Jira Product Discovery projects

(Sign up here to join the EAP for Global fields : Early Access Program - Global fields in Jira Product Discovery)

Update on 19 March 2024: The sign up form is closed as we reached out the maximum number of participants! We will update the community to when we will be ready for general availability 

Like # people like this
Jon McGevna
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 15, 2024

@Hermance NDounga this form does not work for me. Is there another link that works?

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
March 19, 2024

Hy @Jon McGevna Sorry, the form was disabled on 14th of March as we reached out the maximum number of participants. I updated the article, but I forgot to update this comment. I changed the link to the community post, as the sign up link doesn't work anymore

Tere Pile March 22, 2024

There are 2 'limitations' noted in original article I'm curious about 

1 - An idea may look different based on where you open....

Question is around not opening but actual visibility of the field - i.e. formulas visible when you're viewing w/in PPD, but if you open the full view, the calculated columns are just not there.  Is this expected/known or is it a bug, will/can it be resolved? 

2 - Cloud migration - other paperwork seems to indicate team managed are now supported is this still a limitation? 

@Hermance NDounga 

Hariharan Y March 25, 2024

Currently, there is an option to Make either All fields on the intake form as mandatory or none. Is there a plan to provide an option for making only certain fields mandatory?

image.png

Like # people like this
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
March 29, 2024

@Tere Pile the formula needs all ideas to calculate the relative score. so if you just get the link to an idea, it's possible it's not working. to make it work, you can just go to any view and come back. However, if when looking at a view, you click on an idea, and when opening it in full screen you cannot see formulas anymore, that's a bug. You can raise a support ticket about it. 

Cloud to cloud migration still doesn't work for Jira Product Discovery project, even if it works for team managed projects yes. 

@Hariharan Y That's part of the improvements we will explore, but it's not on the immediate roadmap. 

Antonio Carvalho April 3, 2024

My team is already using GitLab, Can I integrate JPD with it and keep this dedicated PM space and link e.g. an idea with one or more Git issues?

Rob Mkrtchian April 3, 2024

@Hermance NDounga you have included limitations related to automation but I think my case is different.

I've set up a JSM widget to collect customer feedback and when user submits feedback it is displayed within "Queues". Now I'm trying to create an automation and when status is changed to "To Do", I want a new idea to be created automatically in My Discovery Project.

Currently, when trying to configure the described automation I run into an error which says "Please select a valid project".

I'm a bit confused why it happens, because if JPD is not support with JSM automations why it is displayed, or if it is indeed supported, how can I fix it. Any thoughts?Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 17.53.24.png

Melissa Davanzo April 4, 2024

I know there are some limitations on Automation - and so far there doesn't seem to be great work around options, but wondering what automation improvements you are looking at. I tried to make a work around automation for these and couldn't find a solution. So I am hoping when more JPD specific automations are implemented they will be easily supported.

• Automations based on Delivery Tickets
    • Transition Status of JPD Idea to “In Progress” and Roadmap to NOW when SOME of the delivery tickets (or their children) are in status category “in progress”
    • Transition Status of the JPD Idea to Done if all delivery tickets tickets are in status category “done”
  • Automations based on role (ie Creator / Contributor) - My work around for this (looking for if user is a contributor) was to list in a user "Is Not" condition all the users that are creators .... but would not be ideal for larger teams.
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2024

@Rob Mkrtchian I just tested and it works well, my idea is that the condition you put might be incorrect or that you (or automation for Jira doesn't) have the rights to create an idea in this project. 

So first I think your condition/trigger is incorrect because you said "create an automation and when status is changed to "To Do"

-> the rule you created is not looking at when the status is changed, but at the moment of the issue creation. So or you just keep your trigger, and you remove the condition, or you change the trigger to "when issue modified". I would go with the first one just to test the hypotheses. 

In the second case it might be a simple permission problem, so if after changing your rule it still doesn't work, I suggest to open a support ticket

Like Rob Mkrtchian likes this
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2024

Hello @Melissa Davanzo 

We have created two templates in the global automation, as well as advice to create automation rules based on delivery items. Here are the documentations: 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-product-discovery/docs/manage-automation-templates/ 

Automate actions in the delivery panel  

For the second one, based on role, I think it's also not achievable in other Jira products, so I think the workaround you're using is totally the way to go. 

Cheers, 

Hermance

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2024

I'm closing out replies for this article as the replies get more and more buried in the comments ! if you have any questions, please create a new post and interact with the community ! 

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new comments.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events