Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Product Discovery office hours: How to move from beta to Free or Standard

Hi all! 

As mentioned in Tanguy's post here, the day to move from a beta edition to a Free or Standard plan of Jira Product Discovery is August 17th, 2023.

We know many of you have questions about how to do this or are simply looking for some guidance so we have organized live sessions to help.

If you are currently a beta customer, our product team will be hosting a series of office hours to answer any questions you have to help support your move. Below are Zoom links to register for an office hours session that works for you:

If you are not the site admin for your Jira site - it may be useful to bring along your admin to help. Please start adding your questions below on anything to do with beta migration, or feel free to upvote others' questions so we can prioritize these. 

I will also publish a full list of questions and answers here after. We look forward to chatting! 

- Kesha 

15 comments

Jens Godat June 27, 2023

Hi @Kesha Thill ,

That's a helpful idea. We are going through the steps outlined with our Jira site admin at the moment. When do you recommend moving from Beta to Standard? What are the billing implications doing the migration in June vs July vs August? Is billing go to start from the moment we switch or when the Beta is officially over on August 18?

Thanks a lot,

Jens

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2023

Hey @Jens Godat 

Really it is up to you to move when you feel ready to go. Many are moving now so it is done and dusted. That said, you won't be charged until you do move to a Standard plan - whether that be tomorrow or August 16th. 

Hope that helps

Cheers,

John

Like Jens Godat likes this
Sean Sullivan July 7, 2023

Hey @Kesha Thill and Atlassian Team,

I am trying to convert from Beta to Free plan.  As of now we only need a single Creator and bunch of Contributors.  So this should work great for us. Unfortunately, after following the steps documented from @Tanguy Crusson and others I am unable to reduce the license count to 1.

I have removed Product Access from the site-admin group and only left one user in my jira-product-discovery-users group who should have Licensed, Creator access.  Yet, the site-admins AND trusted users continue to consume licenses.

My screens look different than all the tutorials I have seen but I think I have configured things correctly.  I was trying to handle this conversion now so I don't forget come the August deadline.  

Any direction is appreciated during office hours or before.

Thanks, Sean

jpd-license.png

jpd-user-group.png

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

@Sean Sullivan if you removed product access from the site-admins group then I think what's going on is that trusted users are still there. From this article:

Trusted users will count as billable users by default

Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also use a license for all products on site. The only workaround in this case is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admins, after removing product access from the site-admins group.

Sean Sullivan July 10, 2023

Unfortunately it is definitely not just due to Trusted users alone. There are 3 trusted users and 4 site-admins getting counted in the 7 licenses.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2023

OK @Sean Sullivan in that case it's about tracking down how these 4 admins were granted product access, and to remove it from there. There are a few ways this could happen:

• The users were given product access individually
  • The site-admins group was given access to JPD
  • The site-admins group was added to the jira-product-discovery-users-xyz group
  • The users are part of another group which has been given access to JPD
  • Someone gave the jira-product-discovery-contributors-xyz group product access to JPD
Like Sean Sullivan likes this
Sean Sullivan July 11, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Thanks for the help. I was able to remove the Trusted users per docs just fine. Unfortunately, I reviewed all of your recommended possibilities and still can't remove the unwanted license consumers. I may need to get some live support (or wait for the live office hours) on this one. Either I am missing something or there is a bug here.

Laurene Michon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 13, 2023

Hi, the process is really clear but the issue we're facing is no one is admin on product discovery, so we can't set the pay plan. Anyone had this issue?

Mieke-Kora Mantsch August 6, 2023

Hi @Kesha Thill & team,

I need to switch from the beta version to the standard version shortly. We have already set up a project at the moment. My question is whether this project with all its ideas will be preserved when I switch to the standard version or do I have to enter everything again? 

Thanks, 

Mieke

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
August 6, 2023

Hey @Mieke-Kora Mantsch

Moving from beta to the standard plan is similar to upgrading from free to standard. It's not so much a migration. So once you are ready you can just go through the steps here. There is no need to set up a separate project or move things over, everything will remain the same. Hope that helps!

John

Like Mieke-Kora Mantsch likes this
Barry Loder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 8, 2023

@Sean Sullivan did you manage to solve your issue? I think I'm facing the same problem. I've followed all of the steps including switching trusted users to a different role but I have 2 site-admins who show as being billable for JPD but aren't listed in the jira-product-discovery-users-xxx group. Thanks.

Nita Sexton August 10, 2023

I was able to switch to the free version with my 3 creators but am having a hard time with the contributors. I tried to add them to the default contributor group and I get an error that I have to add more licenses. I also tried going in to add the users to the contributor-only group and got the same error. Any advise is appreciated. I also submitted a ticket in case this needs escalated or is only me just experiencing it. 

Stephen Wood August 14, 2023

Hi folks -- I've gone through the steps to upgrade from beta to the Standard plan, and billing looks great. One thing I can't figure out is who should be able to access my PD projects in general. Are all Jira users supposed to be able to view projects, and only Contributors can add new ideas to the project? OR should only Contributors and Creators be able to view the projects?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2023

@Stephen Wood first things first, all Jira users are contributors by default. the people in the contributors group are also contributors. 

Then, who can open projects depends on the project's access setting

• Open = all contributors and creators can open it, all creators can edit ideas
  • Limited = all contributors and creators can open it, only the creators you specify can edit ideas
  • Closed = only the people you specify can open the project
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2023

@Nita Sexton @Sean Sullivan @Barry Loder 

Check out this video that explains how to check who is getting billed for Jira Product Discovery and common reasons why that number is higher than you expect (and how to fix that). 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events