Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The different types of users: Creators, Contributors and Stakeholders

Hi everyone, 

As you know by now, Jira Product Discovery graduated from beta and is now generally available. For those of you who were part of the beta: you should already know everything that's in this post. Here I'll explain the different types of users in the product, what's working today and what we're working on. 

If you already know what Creators, Contributor and Stakeholders are but can't figure out how to make it work you can head to this post that explains how to add Creators and Contributors to a project.

Jira Product Discovery editions

Jira Product Discovery (JPD) is now generally available and has 2 editions:

• The free edition has up to 3 free Creators and unlimited* Contributors and Stakeholders (I’ll explain these roles in more depth below).

• The standard edition has unlimited* Creators, Contributors and Stakeholders. Contributors and Stakeholders are free. Creators are charged USD$10 per month, with volume discounts as per other Jira products (the more Creators you have, the less you pay per Creator).

* Note: there is a limit in the number of users you can add to Jira in a site. Whenever we mention “unlimited users” in the rest of this post it should read “unlimited up until you reach the limit of 35k Jira users in the site”.

Creators, Contributors and Stakeholders

Video demo: Creators and Contributors (2min)

Here's a summary:

summary2.png

Creators and Contributors work today. Stakeholders are coming soon. 

Creators

ℹ️ Creators need a Jira Product Discovery license. 

Creators can access all features of Jira Product Discovery. These folks are the ones who run the prioritization process, share roadmaps, work on product ideas, and so on.

• Typically: product managers, some designers, some researchers, parts of the engineering team.

• They can do everything in Jira Product Discovery, and are only limited by the permissions they’re granted in each project.

Discovery project, as seen by a Creator:

creator.png

Contributors

ℹ️ Contributors do not need any Jira license. However they'll need to be added to the site's user base. If they already have a Jira license for any Jira product they'll be a Contributor by default, if they don't you'll just need to add them to a specific user group. More details in this post.

Creators invite Contributors to collaborate in Jira. Contributors are people who get a full view on how the roadmap gets prioritized and why:

• Typically the extended product team: all engineers, all designers, all researchers, all product managers

• They can see all the views in the project in Jira but can only perform contributor actions (comment, vote, add insights, add reactions) and submit ideas - if Creators allow it.

Discovery project, as seen by a Contributor:

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 11.19.06.png

If the feature is turned on for them, Contributors are able to create ideas in a Jira Product Discovery project via a configurable form, but not edit them. More details in this post.

Stakeholders

ℹ️ Stakeholders do not need any Jira license, just a (free) Atlassian account

Update on 31 Jan: This feature is only available to some customers in early access today but will ship this quarter. It will be part of the Standard edition of Jira Product Discovery.

Creators can share individual views with Stakeholders, for example the roadmap. Stakeholders can participate in the prioritization process but in a more controlled environment.

• Typically people from leadership, sales, support, customer success, the rest of the company, some customers and partners. Basically people who are not typically in Jira and wouldn’t know how to use it.

• They interact with the view using contributor features (vote, comment, add insights, add reactions) and can submit ideas - if Creators allow it.

• They cannot open the project in Jira, which is really the only difference today between Contributors and Stakeholders. This is for when you want to share a single view only, for example your roadmap. Stakeholders will just be able to see this view, and won’t be able to navigate/browse around your project.

Shared view from a Discovery project, as seen by a Stakeholder:

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 15.42.22.png

Adding users to a project + Product roles versus Project roles

For detailed instructions for how to add Creators and Contributors to a Jira Product Discovery project, head over to this post

This post also explains the concept of project roles. 

66 comments

Comment

Andrew John June 12, 2023

Hey Tanguy, 

Was just wondering if you might have a rough idea of when the "Stakeholder" user will become available? Really keen on delving deeply into this product but it only really becomes useful once I can share certain views with our different clients. I don't want to make seperate projects for each client as it will become a nightmare to manage. Hoping is it relatively soon so I can get them onto it. We introduced them to the jira service management space a few months ago and they absolutely love it. Makes their lives much easier as opposed to the normal email method of sharing information that is product related. 

Thanks,

Andy.

Like # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson, To be clear, what permission level do you need to create a project? Is that Creator, or do you need to be an admin? (If so, what kind of admin?)
Thanks!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2023

@Kelly Arrey you need to have Jira Product Discovery product access (aka a license). After that it depends on if your site administrator allows users to create team-managed projects or not. If so, then it's all you need. If not, then you'll need to ask an admin to create the project. 

Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson I'm site admin, and we have a free license, so I can create them no problem. I was trying to figure out what perms I need to give my product managers so they can create a project. The descriptions I've seen say "Creators can do everything" but that doesn't seem to be quite accurate. Anyway, if they need permission to create team-managed projects, I'll go research that. Thanks!!!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2023

@Kelly Arrey I just tried with a user who just has product access, and it worked fine - could create a project. That's based on default settings when you create a new site. If you see that a user has product access but can't create a Product Discovery project, then yes I would look at permissions to create Jira projects in this site

Like # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Thanks!

Eliran Itah June 28, 2023

hi @Tanguy Crusson , any estimation when we will see 'stakeholder' role in JPD beta? 

Like # people like this
Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson 

Would it be good to provide functionality where Contributors can edit their own ideas?
We want contributors to have the option to change only the fields that were originally present on the form. In some cases, it may lead to confusion if a ticket has been prioritized and the idea is modified thereafter.

The current situation may compel us to purchase paid licenses for everyone (which is good for Atlassian), but there is currently no way to restrict users from editing other people's ideas. If ideas are not frequently modified, it could be a waste of licenses.

Are there any other ideas on how to work around this issue?

Like # people like this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 3, 2023

@Erki Tammik for now the ideas aren't editable, we'll continue to improve this feature over time.

Like # people like this
Ben Gallant July 24, 2023

Will we allow a Stakeholder to add a new idea using a form?

Maybe allow us to build the form like we can with JSM? 

Currently, we're using JSM to collect new ideas and then use convoluted automations to move new ideas to JPD.

Let me know :)

Like ina_kolarova likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2023

@Ben Gallant the feature that works for contributors will also work for stakeholders (so they can create an idea, with the fields/template you selected)

David Nadri July 25, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson - one of the screenshots in the article mentions Stakeholders need an Atlassian account.

Since Stakeholders could be some customers and partners who are not typically in Jira and wouldn’t know how to use it (as mentioned), can the JPD team please consider giving Creators the ability to share a minimal, public view-only link to the Roadmap view, similar to the ability to share public links in Confluence? (screenshot below)

CleanShot 2023-07-25 at 12.20.01 PM@2x.png

For internal stakeholders, it makes sense to require an Atlassian account, but it would great if we can just share a link to some external customers who just want to have a glance at the live roadmap (not a static image of it, which I know is possible today), without needing to create an Atlassian account. 

Like Tiago Cardoso likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2023

Hi @David Nadri , long story short: this is not actually feasible in the Jira platform today. 

However, having an Atlassian account does not equate being a user of Jira or any other Atlassian products. 

It's free, you can create one by going to id.atlassian.com, you don't need to use any Atlassian product at all.

It's a bit like the "log in with Google/Slack/etc." that you see in most web apps today.

Nick Purvis August 2, 2023

Hi there - I'm wondering if the Stakeholder role will support use cases as follows:

• We can give a customer access to submit ideas, and to view THEIR OWN submitted ideas.  But not to be able to see all the view and lists we've created - they should only be able to see only the list we grant them access to. 

• We can give a customer access to view ALL ideas, to comment, vote on those ideas, but when they open the idea, they should not be able to see certain fields within the idea - e.g. we don't want the customer to see Linked Issues, or the names of other customers (which currently is a multi-select field in our board).

Oh, and of course - any ideas on when Stakeholders will be available...?

Thanks,

Nick

Like # people like this
Brandon Check August 11, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson do you think Stakeholders will be release by the end of 2023? We are very interested.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Alina Bezkrovna August 22, 2023

Will stakeholders have the option to submit ideas like contributors can today?

Like antonio_gomes likes this
Julia Crawford
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 18, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I haven't seen any response on when the stakeholder role will be available is there an update on it?  Can you give a general timeframe and/or are you accepting any other early adopters?  We're rolling out a new process here and this piece is pretty impactful for us.

Like # people like this
Gavin Steele January 19, 2024

Hi there, new to JDB.

Has there been an update on the Stakeholder view?

I configured my teams prioritization workflow and would love to:

1. Share a specific view with each individual internal department (they can see what we are working on that relates to their department.

2. Share a roadmap view with the whole company

3. I would to be able share a Section view with departments.

For 3 - I create a section for the department to view specific lists/boards, in that section I also include the impact/effort view, so they can see that and understanding thinking.. I also include a delivery view so they can track the progress on just the work relating to their department.

So sharing a single view is good, but sharing a section (and all its children) would be great.

Also the ability to restrict access to section/view for contributors and creators.

Some other wants :)

I would also love to see the inclusion of an external public facing form. We use an alternative product to create an intake form and embed it on our sharepoint site for ideas and feedback.. we then have to process that outside of Jira and then into Jira.

Having to have a Jira (free) account adds friction to a large company where a lot of employees never need Jira access.

Like # people like this
Ree Agarwal January 23, 2024

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

I have added an external party as contributor to our JPD project. The user does not have any JIRA product licence but only access to our site. I added the user to the contributor group as well. Now the question that I have is that when I added the user to our site userbase, the user got the notification to access it but when I added the user to the JPD project, the user did not get any notification. Also, when the user accessed the invite, they were forwarded to the atlas home menu without any projects mentioned there for access but just the atlassian products.

So how does the contributor access the JPD project to view the ideas and then vote or add insights onto it?

Covadonga Carrasco January 29, 2024

Hi @Tanguy Crusson !

Could you please clarify the status of the stakeholder user development?
It has been six months since this article was written and some of us have assumed that this development (critical for us specifically) would be finished in the short term.

Can you tell us more, please?

Thank you very much!

Like # people like this
Damon January 31, 2024

Hey @Tanguy Crusson 

We have created a "Team Priority" field and would love for teams to be able to update it. We have over 200 people in our business. Does that mean each have to be a creator on a paid license for JPD?

Cheers. Loving JPD BTW. 

Violeta Tamašauskienė January 31, 2024

It would be really good to have a stakeholder option launch date announced, as we are currently deciding on the tool to use in the Product Management team and Jira Product Discovery lacks only the stakeholder visibility option to be approved as a go-to option. Knowing it will happen at some point this year will make the decision much easier. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2024

Hi @Violeta Tamašauskienė , we've just turned the feature on for you - you'll see it if you refresh your screen, it's a button called "Publish" that you can see top-right of any view. 

We're wrapping up the early access program and feature is going to be available for everyone this quarter.

Like Damon likes this
Damon January 31, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson could we get the same Stakeholder functionality that you've turned on for @Violeta Tamašauskienė ?

Like Violeta Tamašauskienė likes this
Violeta Tamašauskienė January 31, 2024

Thank you @Damon  this is amazing! Just in time for our next weeks meeting. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events