JQL quick filter: apply filter on Stories but not subtask

Xavier Pacalet April 13, 2018

Hello,

I'm trying to create a filter quite simple but I'm struggling a lot.

Basically I have a board with Stories and inside each stories subtasks.

I want to apply a filter on the name of the stories to not show some (and not show the subtasks as well).

But for the stores I want, I want the subtasks as well, right now I am able to filter my stories but the subtasks are not shown.

Is there a way to say "show only the subtasks of the stories where the name of the story (parent) match a pattern ?"

I tried the following query:

(type = Sub-task AND issue in subtasksOf("summary !~ 'Foo'")) or (type = Story and summary !~ "Foo") but I still don't have the subtasks.

Btw: I'm not using any plug-in.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2018

Hi Xavier,

Are you trying to show these on a board or you just want to see all of them under the list of issues?

Xavier Pacalet April 13, 2018

Hello,

The quick filter is for my board tab "active sprint". I want a filter to exclude some user stories to have a focus on others.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2018

Under Board Configuration can you please send a screenshot from the Columns and Swimlanes? After of course hiding any company/personal information

Xavier Pacalet April 15, 2018

Hmm yes but how is it related ? The filter I'm trying to create will only be for the Active sprint, is there a link between the filters and the columns I have ?

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2018

You mentioned that you are unable to see the Subtasks am I right?

Xavier Pacalet April 16, 2018

Yeah for the user stories which fit my filter above the subtasks are not displayed because they don't fit the filter I guess.

I just need a way to have my filter applied only on user stories and not the subtasks inside.

For my board the swimlane base is story.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2018

Ok you have the right info for the Swimlane.
Since you want some of the Stories and Subtaks display on your board and some others don't, you will have to have a field that will be added to your JQL query which will be the one used to bring some of the stories and not others.

(type = Sub-task AND issue in subtasksOf("summary !~ 'Foo'")) or (type = Story and summary !~ "Foo") but I still don't have the subtasks.

issuetype in (Task, Subtask) and parent in .....

issuetype in (Task, Sub-task) and parent in ("summary !~ 'Foo'")

with that there is an error "The issue key 'summary !~ 'Foo'' for field 'parent' is invalid"

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2018

I am sending you a screenshot from my instance where "Summary" is not an option I think that's why you are getting the error but again for sure we have different configuration. Just so that you get an idea

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 11.13.41 AM.png

I have much less possibilities anyway my filter has to be on the name of the user story, so there is no way at all to do what I want ? :(

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2018

My possibilities were coming from Adaptavist ScriptRunner. I am sure there will be a way to work around your JQL query.

Sharing the link which I am sure you have, may be some advanced queries using JIRA functions:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-764478330.html

Xavier Pacalet April 17, 2018

Yup I went through all of this and didn't find anything :(

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2018

Are you using the Adaptavist ScriptRunner?

I really wish I could help you more.

Xavier Pacalet April 18, 2018

Nope I don't have access to any tool/plugin...

Suggest an answer