• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to order stories in an Epic?

I've added a bunch of stories to an epic and now I want to put them in order on the epic.  I though I was able to drag and drop on the epic issue screen, but that doesn't work.  Any tips?

7 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted

Hello Jennifer,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Unfortunately, it's not possible to change the order that the Stories are displayed under an Epic in the Epic view screen.

We have a feature request opened to implement this functionality:

- Ability to change the order of the Issues in Epic

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, you can create a board or a filter (On a dashboard gadget) to return the issues from a specific Epic in any order you want.

Let us know if this information helps and if you need more instructions to implement the workaround suggested.

Hi what dashboard gadget can I use to reorder stories in an epic?

Hello Jessica,

Actually, you would need to set a parameter in a JQL filter to set the order of the child issues in the Epics and display it using the filter results gadget. Let me give you an example:

Let's suppose you want to display all issues under the Epic "test-1" ordered by the creation date. These would be the steps:

1 - Create the following JQL filter:

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 11.58.59.png

2 - Navigate to your dashboard and click to create a Filter Results gadget, adding the filter you created

Let me know if this information helps.

This has been open since 2014. Please vote for it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-40929. The ticket status says it needs enough community interest from unique domains before Atlassian will take a look at it. 

Like # people like this

I also think it would be nice to filter by status.  But being able to change the order of the stories under an Epic would be great.  It appears to be a random order.

Want it. 

Thanks to the helpful comment provided by @Chamilka Wijeratne, I learned the ticket order in the board backlog reflects on the issue order in the Epic.

Just tried this out and it did not work. I rearranged the stories in the backlog, but they are not in the same order within the epic. 

I use the Cloud version and it worked for me just recently. Probably it worth to mention that the tickets and the epic I have are in the same Jira project. Though if all the tickets of the epic are on the same board, I guess it should do the trick.

Filtering issues by epic in the backlog helps to see only the issues requiring re-arranging. Also, make sure you've rearranged all of them, including those that are in the backlog. Sometimes it requires using "send to the bottom of the backlog" and "send to the top of the backlog" functions to achieve the desired order.

Ed, that is the problem. The people complaining here are asking NOT to have to do this in a backlog with other issues mixed in. We just want to be able to order our epic at the epic level and see only the epic's issues and be able to order the way we want. 

Jenna, thank you, I see your point. I believe the accepted answer makes it clear that the feature is not implemented and a subject for further development.

The goal of my comments is to provide information about an alternative way to attain the desired. At the end of the day what's important is that one could get information properly presented by the tool helping teams to get aligned.

I also think it would be nice to filter by status.  But being able to change the order of the stories under an Epic would be great.  It appears to be a random order.

This is the number one complaint I have and get from product owners... You create a bunch of stories at the start of a new feature, and then there is no way to logically order them. Such a shame. I have voted, but doesn't seem to do much good... people have been asking for this foryears. 

Commenting here in hope of bringing more awareness to this request. 

Prioritising stories and subtasks is essential.
The downside of not having this capability is larger than upside of having it, if you get me.
Thanks

0 votes

This is misleading. This is not solved, nor does it appear like its going to be solved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

4,001 views 11 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you