Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do we filter stories which are without Sub-task by using JQL?

I am not able to filter the stories which don't have sub-task attached.

4 answers

Hi Muskan,

Sadly you cannot achieve the desired search using standard features on Jira, you must go for a third-party app instead. Using i.e. JQL Booster Pack you can type the following:

Search all Stories without subtasks

type = Story AND issue NOT IN hasSubtasks()

Using this app you can also query other issues relations, check:

References:

Hope this helps you to create awesome queries <3

Kind regards

Hi @Muskan_Shaikh

Much like your other query on Epics, you'll need an app to achieve this using JQL. We use ScriptRunner but there will be other options depending on your host type.

So you could do this query:

issueFunction not in parentsOf("project = VER") and issuetype = Story

^ I added the Story search because otherwise it finds any issue without a standard Sub-task parent - such as Epics or Sub-tasks themselves! You could extend this to:

issueFunction not in parentsOf("project = VER") and issuetype in (Story, Bug, Task)

...if you needed to.

To add, you could use this search also - but only in the Server versions. According to documentation, this is not available in Cloud:

issuetype = Story and issueFunction not in hasSubtasks()

Unsure which host type you're on - but for more information on ScriptRunner parent searching for Cloud here and Server here.

Ste

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ thanks for this answer!

As a follow up, I'm wondering how I can query for a story without a sub task of a specific sub task type.

For example, we have "Dev Task" and "QA Task" that are both sub-tasks, and I want to query for a story with no "QA Task" sub tasks.  

Is this possible?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Hi @andrew_smith_veeva 

Something like this should work:

issueFunction not in parentsOf("issuetype = 'QA Task'") AND issuetype not in subTaskIssueTypes()

This provides all issues which are...

• Not parents of any QA Tasks and...
  • Are not Sub-task level issues themselves. You could expand the query to exclude other issue types if necessary (eg. exclude Epics).

Ste

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  thank you!  I had to put single quotes around 'QA Task' and it seems to have worked.

Andrew

Good spot @andrew_smith_veeva! I've modified the answer to include the single quotation marks.

Ste 

Hi @Muskan_Shaikh 

This can be achieved using Scriptrunner plugin without that its difficult to find.

You can use any third party plugin like  JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports  its available for cloud and server both

Following query will get all stories without sub tasks

issue in subtaskCountLessThan("1") and type=Story

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Core

How to manage many similar workflows?

I have multiple projects that use variations of the same base workflow. The variations depend on the requirements of the project or issue type. The variations mostly come in the form of new statuses ...

3,894 views 11 5
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you