How can I get the current project to use in a JQL query?

I would like to do something like:

project = currentProject() ORDER BY createdDate

Is that possible, or can it be added?

24 answers

3 votes

There is no "current project" when you're in a search, they execute outside project contexts.

Hi Frank,

you can use the following Plugin to achieve this functionality:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.olegburmistrov.jira.CurrentProjectFunction

It's working like a charm for us.

Best regards,

Tobias

I wish this plugin were available for JIRA Cloud.

What I want is for the board query to be based on the Project that the board is being viewed in from the user's perspective.  My typical user workflow is for the user to select "Project" and then pick a board in that project based.  For our company, boards are "Software", "Electrical", "Mechanical".  And effectively I'd like to be able to create reusable boards where the query is for the "Project" that is selected.  Our users never intentionally go to a board from the "Boards" dropdown.

Since the board can't reuse filters, I get into a lot of duplication right now.  For example, rather than "Software" as a board, I need "Project X Software", "Project Y Software", etc.  This also means I need to create "Project X Filter", etc.  Making both development and execution of a consistent process across multiple projects tedious (the only part that I get to reuse is the 'workflow', I need to manually copy both the boards and filters for each project in JIRA which is an admin headache and prone to manual bugs as a result).

If the filter was able to handle "Project" (and in the case of directly selecting a board, I'd be OK with the result = NULL) then I would have a total of 3 boards, each board would only one filter and I could share this board with every project that shares a given workflow with zero changes.  That is what I want to be able to do.

Thank you, Omar!

For those who aren't clear on the intent behind the question, Omar does a great job of explaining the underlying challenge that needs to be solved for - starting with "My typical user workflow..."

Omar - I hear you. I don't have an answer for you (looking for the same thing), but what you're asking for makes complete sense. Your second post, the longer one, spells it out pretty well (Nic, you might want to re-read), but in a nutshell:

Most users would like (expect) to go into a project and be able to see all of the issues for that project (and JUST that project), presented in various useful ways: In a list. On a board. Or maybe on several boards, each having a different view/configuration.

Furthermore, many organizations have dozens or hundreds of nearly identical projects. And for consistency, each of those projects should be structured the same way. Same issue types, same fields, same workflows, same views, same boards. The issue types/fields/workflows are easy, we have schemes for those. But to make the boards consistent, we have to create and configure a separate board for every dang project! Which becomes extraordinarily cumbersome on so many different levels.

So... given this underlying problem statement, maybe the gurus can help identify the right way to solve for it. :-)

0 vote

Out of interest, which project would you expect the "current project" to be? JIRA has an internal "last viewed project" concept but it is not surfaced to JQL queries because that would make them non-deterministic.

I would expect the current project to be the one that is displayed in the drop down that appears when  you click "Projects" on the JIRA menu bar.

0 vote

That's the "last viewed", as Robert says.  A function for that is not a lot of use in a query, and useless in a saved filter.

I would like to have the "last viewed project" available to JQL.

That would allow me to create a single filter that could be used for any project, and would apply to the last viewed project. (I would not have to create the filter for each project of interest.)

0 vote

That would be a nightmare - you'd have a filter that could apparently randomly change every time you went back to it.  I don't think that's a good idea (I'd certainly hate having to explain it to all the users)

0 vote

Frank, what are you trying to accomplish with your JQL query? Maybe there is another way to accomplish what you want if we knew what information you were ultimately trying to have at your disposal.

Robert, I would like to view issues in my "currently selected view project" and order the issues by created date, using a saved filter.

0 vote

I understand that is what you want to do but it is not what you want to ultimately accomplish. Why do you want to do that? What key information would that give you that you seek?

I could use this feature so that I could create a filter that is used by multiple projects - specifically for creating more reusable board filters.  Personally, I want to find issues of type = "somecustomtype" + status = "open" + project=CurrentProject where CurrentProject is the project context my board is currently being viewed in.  I'd be open to using the CurrentProjectFunction from the plugin below but it isn't supported in cloud.

0 vote

>CurrentProject is the project context my board is currently being viewed in

Boards are not viewed in a project context.  Or rather, the "project context" is "one, many or all projects".

0 vote

>project that the board is being viewed in from the user's perspective.

Changing  the wording "project context" to "the user's perspective" does not change the point.  I have a board that shows "issue type = bug".  What's the project context or user's perspective there?

In your case it would be "NULL" which is a valid answer to me.  In my case (shown here) it would be "SWPD":

ProjectContext.png

Also, I'm not saying that all board queries would need to have an active project context.  I just would like to be able to have one for my case, which is in creating a project/context specific query for making a reusable board.

0 vote

That's wrong. My project context is absolutely not "null", as that's useless.  It's "all projects".

Ok, sure so your project argument could be "*" or "ALL" or whatever the JQL equivalent is - sorry, not null.  But it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a solution for the problem I'm facing.  I don't see why all of three use cases ("*", "NULL" and "ActiveProject") aren't valid project arguments.

0 vote

Ok, let's keep it really simple. 

You are asking for an answer to the question "what is the current project?"

The answer to that is "none, one, many or all".  Your problem is too limited to be usefully "answered" by that.  Your three "use-cases" are valid statements, but cannot be turned into useful requirements, and hence should be redefined in real terms or discarded.

To do that, you need to work out a way to answer the question: What is the "current project" when I am looking at a board whose filter says "project in (x, y, z)"

There is only ever one "current project" from a board user's perspective - the one selected in the JIRA user interface.

The idea is to make a board show only issues related to the currently selected project, even when the board query selects from multiple projects.

This would be useful when a board covers multiple projects but we're only interested in the selected one.

I think you've misunderstood the point.  You can't answer the question "what is the current project" when you're on a board that includes more than one.  There is no "currently selected project" when you're in a board, because the board might have more than one.

The only time "current project" can be answered for a board is when the filter has a project selection clause of "project = X".  Which makes it redundant.

I want a filter that says give me issues that match a certain criteria where the project = ActiveProject.  From my perspective, ActiveProject is the project specified in the URL via "projectKey" parameter but there is no such property that I can find and filters don't seem to have a way to use the URL parameter as a criteria.  I don't want to have to specify a specific value (or even a wildcard) for the projectKey in my filter.  This will enable me to create reusable boards that support multiple projects.

0 vote

That's correct - it's because the board defines the projectS it is for.

Again - what is the "current project" when your board filter is "project in (x, y, z)"

There are some add-ons which do "current project" in some places, but it's not based on the board, and can be misleading (because you could be in project w, then go to a board covering x, y and z), and can fail when you are using multiple tabs or browsers.

Hi @Frank Spafford
 If you are using Jira Server you can install the FREE app called JQL Booster Pack throught Atlassian Marketplace and use the requested functionality.

After install this app, you should be able to create a query using recentProjects() function, that will allow you to find issues in your recently viewed projects. You can also limit the number of projects retrieved by this function to get the most recent project.

You can use the following query to retrieve issues of your currentProject.

• Find issues in my current project:

project IN recentProjects(1)

You can find the complete information about this JQL function at its Function Reference page.

Kind regards.

In the new Jira experience, a Board always lives within a Project.

Wouldn't it make sense now to allow a Board filter that always queries the Project that the Board lives within? This would eliminate a great duplication of Filters...

No.  Because a board might include more than one project.

The move to have boards "inside" a project is understandable, but it's introducing even more confusion for users.

A board does NOT live within a project.  A project has a collection of links to boards that might include the project.

Nic,

That seems at odds with what is stated here:

We redesigned the Jira experience to make the relationship between boards and projects much clearer. Now, boards belong to projects, so you can better manage multiple work streams in Jira Software.

Yes, and that statement is wrong.

It's horribly misleading.  Boards do not belong to projects.

When a board has a filter like "Project in (X, Y, Z)", which ONE project does it belong to?  Nope, can't answer that, because it's wrong.  That board does not belong to any one project, it pulls in issues from all three.

Atlassian phrasing it this way has already increased the numbers of people horribly misunderstanding how boards work.  It needs to be changed.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published yesterday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

30 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot