in the new issue view, how i create a sub-task?

Julian Mendez February 20, 2018

in the new issue view isn't clear how i create a sub-task, i don't see the optionJIRA.PNGJIRA1.PNG

7 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

Should be on the tools menu - the three ... to the top right.  If you don't have create subtask in there, then the project does not have sub-tasks.

Julian Mendez February 20, 2018

The project have the option but the menu three don't list the option like the old view

JIRA2.pngJIRA3.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2018

Could you go to the full issue view and see what options you have in the tools menu there?

kai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2018

Hey @Julian Mendez, in the new issue view the option to create a subtask should appear under the summary:

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 9.43.28 am.png

However, the option won't appear if a user doesn't have permission to create subtasks or if they issue type hasn't been configured to use subtasks.

I notice in your screenshots you're showing two different issues, are you able to confirm that there is inconsistent behaviour between the option to create subtasks for the same issue? If this is the case I can get the engineering team to look into this as this is not the expected behaviour.

Julian Mendez February 21, 2018

The issue its the same but if you see in the new issue view i dont't see the option, the project have the type of issue ""sub-task"JIRA4.PNGJIRA5.PNGJIRA6.PNG

kai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2018

@Julian Mendez – thanks for providing some more context on this. This certainly doesn't look like the expected behaviour.

Would you mind raising a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ which will allow one of our support engineers to troubleshoot this further and look into what might be causing this on your site?

Feel free to include a link back to this community post in your ticket – this should help our team with directing your request.

Deleted user November 4, 2018

Did you guys end up solving this problem?

Lambert Caljouw February 19, 2019

It's now 3 months past, and I still have the same behavior for ONE issue:

- New view => No option to create subtasks under the three dots or anywhere else

- Old view => Perfectly possible to create a subtask

So the only resolution for me it to continuously switch to the old view.

Arulraja Livingston March 19, 2019

Any update on this issue? I see the same behavior with the  new view.

Babu Duraiswamy April 7, 2019

Been facing the same issue for a while. Looking at when the issue was raised first, I don't think this is anywhere close to the top of Atlassian's priorities at the moment! Bit disappointed though.

0 votes
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2019

The "create sub-tasks" buttons are now available in the new issue view for Jira Service Desk.

You'll find them in the quick actions section (below the summary) and also in the sub-tasks component: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72135

0 votes
Will McCall June 28, 2019

The new create sub task issue button doesn't prompt the create issue screen anymore. It just lets us add an issue title on the parent issue screen, then we have to go into the issue to edit the other fields. It's now two steps to create a subtask and all of the issues are being assigned to the default assignee for the project since it can't be set upon creation. subtask.png

AgentBee November 4, 2019

Will - I have the same issue you describe.  Despite configuring a create issue screen for the sub-task, when I click the button it only lets you ad a title.

Did you find the solution?

Will McCall November 4, 2019

My understanding is that it is not possible in the new issue view. A support person at Atlassian created a feature request for me but I can't track it down. Good luck. For now, my folks are just updating it after issue creation and I'm bombarded with unnecessary email. 

AgentBee November 4, 2019

Ok thanks. Appreciate your response. At least I know it's not me just not being able to work it out!

James Jordan November 12, 2019

Time to start looking for options to migrate if we are going to be forced to use this garbage going forward.  

0 votes
RH4 June 24, 2019

As mister Yates suggests, there is a new little check box icon below the issue description to add subtasks.

Additional confusion is caused by the Atlassian help searches all pointing you to the three dot options on the right side the same as you have always done but it's wrong for new view.

We know Atlassian will force us to only use the new version at some point so we are trying to learn it but the 200 users here are all very frustrated with it and frequently switch to old view when they work on issues

0 votes
Victor Jiang June 6, 2019

I'm experiencing the same thing here...

1. Configured Service Desk to allow sub-tasks
  2. Can only see and create sub-tasks in "Old View"
  3. The new view doesn't have the option to create a sub-task under any issue type.
Victor Jiang June 6, 2019

So the work-around is to switch to the old view to create Sub-tasks and back to new view for everything else... not ideal

0 votes
Bronagh Quinn May 19, 2019

We are running both JIRA Service Desk & JIRA Software (Cloud Hosted)

On Jira Software Projects the Create sub-task option is available on issues in the New Issue View but in JIRA Service Desk projects it is not. For issues in JIRA Service Desk projects when we revert to the old view the create sub-task option is available. 

0 votes
Deleted user May 14, 2019

I was confused at first but I realized that the create sub-task option isn't under that upper right menu, it's the second button under the issue Summary in the new view.

Screenshot from 2019-05-14 15-36-43.png

Suggest an answer