how to assign a kanban board to a 2nd separate work flow in a project

Jamila RAJA February 20, 2024

i have a project that has 2 workflows

work flow 1 is for (stories, epics , etc)

workflow 2 is for bugs

I want to create a kanban board just for the bugs and assign Workflow 2 to it, however every new board i create defaults to workflow 1, how do i assign the bug workflow to the new kanban board

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 20, 2024

Hi @Jamila RAJA -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

In addition to the other suggestions provided, I have a question: do you have one team or separate teams, with one team only working on the defects (i.e., bugs)?

I ask this because you note using Kanban, and if there is one team doing all the work it may be better to have one board, regardless of issue type and workflow.  This will make visible the amount and progress of all work, and the impacts of unplanned work (such as defects) upon planned work (such as stories, epics, etc.)  Having two boards may solve the simplicity problem of visualizing one workflow per board at the cost of less visible workload.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jamila RAJA February 21, 2024

Hi Bill, thanks for getting back to me so promptly, so the reason we have a different workflow for bugs is that for our stories, we have locked down the permissions for the 3rd parties on what they are able to do, with bugs it will be a different set of permissions as they will be actively working on these.  our suppliers will only have permission to the project that they are working on

Also we have 300 user stories that we will have on the 1 board. so we want to keep the bugs on a seperate view

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2024

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Workflows do not apply to boards, they apply to issues.

If you give your two sets of issues different workflows, then a board that selects them can be configured to show them on the board by mapping the status into the columns.

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 20, 2024

Hi Jamila,

Create a filter for something like: Project = ABC and issuetype = Bug

Save that and then use that as the filter for the board. Be sure to share the filter with others so they can see the board. 

Suggest an answer