Structure with Initiative, Epic and Story hierarchy

Jeffrey Kirkpatrick December 16, 2020

I am a Structure newbie.  I've gone through posts trying to figure this out but I am having a great deal of trouble pinpointing a solution.

In my JIRA project, I have created Initiatives.  Each Initiative has either

• multiple Epics which have Stories nested under them OR
  • individual stories nested under them if they don't warrant Epics

Trying to figure out how to show via Structure the hierarchy similar to below and I am coming up short. 

Initiative 1

---- Epic 1

----------Story 1

----------Story 2

---- Epic 2

----------Story 1

----------Story 2

Initiative 2

---- Epic 1

----------Story 1

----------Story 2

---- Story 1

---- Story 2

The closest I can get is just at the Epic -> Story level using JQL:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("priority = Critical and (status = Open or status = 'In Progress')")

Any suggestions?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Egor Tasa [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2020

Hi Jeffrey,

This should be pretty simple.

1. Automation+>Insert>JQL query. The JQL should contain only initiatives

2. Then Automation+>Extend by>Linked issues - the link between Initiative and Epic

3. Automation+>Extend by>Stories under epics

Regards,
Egor Tasa

ALM Works

This appears to have worked!  Thank you so much for the quick response and help!!

Russell July 12, 2021

Cheers this worked for us :)

Andrew Beaudry June 8, 2023

I do not understand Step 2.  What is the link between Initiative and Epic?

When I try and use Child or Parent link types, it doesnt work

Sachin Mistry June 8, 2023

Is Automation+, a separate plug-in that we have to purchase?  Does this come standard with JIRA Advanced Roadmap? 

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 8, 2023

Hello @Andrew Beaudry , welcome to the community!

The link in this step was whatever custom issue link Jeffrey was using.  Could have been "blocks", "implements", etc.  When creating the Extend Generator, he would have had to select the one he was using and the direction.

@Sachin Mistry ,

Automation is part of Structure by Tempo - Jira Resource Management & Planning PPM, which you can find on the Atlassian Marketplace.

Best,
David

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Sachin Mistry June 8, 2023

Thank you @David Niro . Any idea on how much it costs on top of Atlassian JIRA licenses?

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 8, 2023

Hi @Sachin Mistry ,

You are very welcome!

It is going to depend on your user tier and platform.  Here's the Structure Marketplace Listing you can pick the platform and enter the number of users to get an idea of the cost.

Please keep in mind that the number should be set to the number of users in your Jira instance.  And just for full disclosure, I do work for the company that makes Structure.

Best,
David

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
0 votes
Sachin Mistry May 24, 2022

@Jeffrey Kirkpatrick We have similar requirement. How do I go about creating the JQL's given by Igor Tasa?

1. Automation+>Insert>JQL query. The JQL should contain only initiatives

2. Then Automation+>Extend by>Linked issues - the link between Initiative and Epic

3. Automation+>Extend by>Stories under epics

0 votes

Also, I am trying to do this dynamically - so that I don't have to manually add in the ID like below

Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 5.57.24 AM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events