How to read [Chart] Time in Status ?

Kishan Borad May 26, 2022

I was going through different options to extract the report on how many times(in numbers) a task was in Peer review and what was the duration(in hours) it was in peer review for each time.
And I came across this term [Chart] Time in Status, and I tried generating report based on this option.
But the format in which the data populated was not human readable.

Eg. 10007_*:*_1_*:*_93158_*|*_3_*:*_2_*:*_622625_*|*_5_*:*_1_*:*_0_*|*_10041_*:*_1_*:*_434801_*|*_10000_*:*_1_*:*_1832499_*|*_10011_*:*_2_*:*_847873_*|*_10012_*:*_1_*:*_56972_*|*_10006_*:*_1_*:*_988603

Does any know how I can read this data?

I am thanking you in Advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2022

Hi @Kishan Borad , Welcome to the Community!

The field stores all statuses an issue has been. Statuses are separated by "_*|*_".

Inside each status there is status id, number of status entry and time in seconds in that status.

So your below input means:

10007_*:*_1_*:*_93158_*|*_3_*:*_2_*:*_622625

Issue has been in:

• status with id 10007, 1 time for 93158 seconds
  • status with id 3, 2 times for 622625 seconds

Built-in Jira reports and gadgets offer limited flexibility for time in status. If you prefer using a marketplace app for this, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team which is available for Jira Server/Data Center/Cloud. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status.

• You can select issue fields and statuses that you want to see in your report. It has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).
  • You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to theworking calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free.

Note: If you are interested in cycle and lead time, you can have a look at the article below.

Cycle Time and Lead Time in Jira: Productivity Measurement with Two Critical Parameters

Hope it helps.

Kishan Borad May 26, 2022

Hello @Bloompeak Support

Thank you for helping me understand, but I tried to validate the data in the same manner as you explained. But found out that the No. of Time isn't matching correctly. Also, the Time calculated based on Hours isn't fitting what it should.

Appreciate your help. and quick address to my query

Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2022

Hi @Kishan Borad ,

There is not much information about the details of time in status custom field in the documentation of Atlassian. My previous conclusion was based on the source code of Jira Charting plugin.

See the lines: https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/jira-charting-plugin/src/master/src/main/java/com/atlassian/jira/ext/charting/field/TimeInStatusDAO.java#lines-252

Bartłomiej Rachwał August 13, 2022

I think that the actual value is stored in miliseconds instead of seconds.

Like Sheila Stanek likes this

Suggest an answer