How to filter for epic and all linked issues within it?

Jade Zammit March 1, 2022

I am looking to create a specific Kanban board which only has issues linked to a specific Epic within it. I've tried various JQL queries but not getting far.. Essentially I'd want all linked tasks, stories and bugs within the board but epic specific?

Also - can multiple boards be created within one project?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2022

Hello Jade,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can start by filtering by Epic Link. The Epic Link custom field is a relational link to determine an issue's parent epic.  

So for example you could use a JQL like the one below:

"Epic Link" = "Epic Name"

By doing this you will retrieve all issues that have that Epic linked.

Also, boards are not connected to projects, so you can create how many you want and set different filters for each one.  A board displays issues from one or more projects, giving you a flexible way of viewing, managing, and reporting on work in progress. 

I recommend checking this documentation about boards if you would like to know more.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Carlos

Jade Zammit March 2, 2022

Thanks Carlos - really appreciate the help! 

I have tried as above to call all linked issues but I am only seeing linked stories - no linked bugs. I have changed all status fields within these issues to in progress/open for visibility but the bugs or test tasks are not pulling through with this - any ideas?

carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 2, 2022

Hello Jade,

It should be showing the bugs, I've just double checked on my side and confirmed that it should be showing all tickets that have the Epic linked to it.

Could you please provide here an image of the Bug ticket so I can see the Epic Link and also an image of the Epic?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Carlos

Jade Zammit March 3, 2022

Bug ticket SS.PNGSAN-5 SS.PNG

Thanks Carlos - this is a sandbox project for us to get everything in place first before creating for the full project :) 

carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2022

Hi Jade,

Thank you for providing the image, it was really helpful.

What is happening is that you are adding issues linked to the Epic, but not using the Epic Link.

There are a couple of conveniences of using Epics in place of linked issues. One of which is that there is a nifty pop out Epics tab under the Versions tab which runs parallel to your project toolbar. You can use it to quickly view how many issues are in the Epic, what needs to be completed, what has not been estimated, estimated points, and a progress bar. 

Filtering is easier with Epics due to the "Epic Link" option. 

Also, if you are using Confluence then you can link pages to each Epic. Which is great if you documented plans, design, requirements, etc and don't want to have to do a lot of rework. You can just create stories in your Epic in Jira from your requirements page in Confluence. 

On the other hand, Linked Issues allows you to create an association between two existing issues by using a Link type, like "is blocked by".

The Bug in your case is a Linked Issue and not necessarily has the Epic Link associated to your epic. Below you can check one image demonstrating what I said above:

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 10.04.20 pm.png

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

In case it solves your issue, please accept my answer so other users can know that this is helpful.

Cheers,

Carlos

Like # people like this

Thank you! This works perfectly - something so simple. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

1 vote
Shwetha_Peruri March 6, 2023

Is there a way to show the parent child relationship when we use jira filters. Like I should be able to show all the stories in the epic as well its related tickets (bugs and other linked issues)

Suggest an answer