How do we filter stories which are without Sub-task by using JQL?

Muskan Shaikh January 27, 2020

I am not able to filter the stories which don't have sub-task attached.

5 answers

2 votes
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 27, 2020

Hi Muskan,

Sadly you cannot achieve the desired search using standard features on Jira, you must go for a third-party app instead. Using i.e. JQL Booster Pack you can type the following:

Search all Stories without subtasks

type = Story AND issue NOT IN hasSubtasks()

Using this app you can also query other issues relations, check:

References:

Hope this helps you to create awesome queries <3

Kind regards

2 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2020

Hi @Muskan Shaikh

Much like your other query on Epics, you'll need an app to achieve this using JQL. We use ScriptRunner but there will be other options depending on your host type.

So you could do this query:

issueFunction not in parentsOf("project = VER") and issuetype = Story

^ I added the Story search because otherwise it finds any issue without a standard Sub-task parent - such as Epics or Sub-tasks themselves! You could extend this to:

issueFunction not in parentsOf("project = VER") and issuetype in (Story, Bug, Task)

...if you needed to.

To add, you could use this search also - but only in the Server versions. According to documentation, this is not available in Cloud:

issuetype = Story and issueFunction not in hasSubtasks()

Unsure which host type you're on - but for more information on ScriptRunner parent searching for Cloud here and Server here.

Ste

andrew_smith_veeva September 23, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ thanks for this answer!

As a follow up, I'm wondering how I can query for a story without a sub task of a specific sub task type.

For example, we have "Dev Task" and "QA Task" that are both sub-tasks, and I want to query for a story with no "QA Task" sub tasks.  

Is this possible?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2020

Hi @andrew_smith_veeva 

Something like this should work:

issueFunction not in parentsOf("issuetype = 'QA Task'") AND issuetype not in subTaskIssueTypes()

This provides all issues which are...

• Not parents of any QA Tasks and...
  • Are not Sub-task level issues themselves. You could expand the query to exclude other issue types if necessary (eg. exclude Epics).

Ste

Like Azfar Masut likes this
andrew_smith_veeva October 2, 2020

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  thank you!  I had to put single quotes around 'QA Task' and it seems to have worked.

Andrew

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2020

Good spot @andrew_smith_veeva! I've modified the answer to include the single quotation marks.

Ste 

0 votes
Maíra Matos August 8, 2023

Hi, everyone!

Since we here have no specific policy to treat task and subtask diferently when is comes to dates or kanban status, many times I would have tasks and subtasks to follow up, but to filter them only by status is no good, because it return parent PLUS their child results. And I just need to see the last hierarchical level.

The Kanban board does the right job, positioning the last level in the columnns when filtering by subtasks, but it is HORRIBLE to visualize the work to be done in a compilated form. So to create a filter is necessary.

That said, is there any suggestion for a script (and its plugin) to achieve this filters where i can see:

1. Subtasks + no parent Tasks with the "To Do" status in a project
2. Subtasks + no parent Tasks with the "In Progress" status in a project

Thank you!

0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2020

You can use any third party plugin like  JQL Search Extensions for Jira & reports  its available for cloud and server both

Following query will get all stories without sub tasks

issue in subtaskCountLessThan("1") and type=Story
0 votes
Ganesh Babu
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 27, 2020

Hi @Muskan Shaikh 

This can be achieved using Scriptrunner plugin without that its difficult to find.

Suggest an answer