Column in a view with epic priority

Martin Härri March 6, 2024

Hi, I have a filter which extracts all stories of a project with specific criteria. I would now add a column to the view which shows the priority of the linked epic (not the priority of the story itself, but the epic it is linked to).

I'd appreciate if someone could give me a hint on the syntax of that custom column. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2024

Hi @Martin Härri , with Jira issue search, you cannot join data. It basically only provides a single flat table with issues and its attributes. 

As such, you can only filter and report on attributes of the issues themselve. 

A solution (or work-around) would thus be, to make the 'Epic priority' an attribute of the issues. That would entail: 

1. Make a new custom field 'Epic priority' 
  2. Add this new field to the screens of your Stories
  3. Create an automation rule to copy the Priority of the Epic to the 'Epic priority', triggered on the field change of Parent on the Story
  4. Create a second automation, similar to the first one, but triggered on a change of the Epic's priority

Hope that helps. 

Have a nice day! Rik 

Martin Härri March 11, 2024

Thank you for the clarification, Rik!
I think I'll try a different approach then.

Btw: do you know if it would be possible with Structure? Afaik the formula language there is not JQL, but Expr

Suggest an answer