Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Advanced Issue FIlter default sort options?

Sue Wilson July 22, 2022

I noticed on Day 1 of exploring my company's JIRA Cloud instance that the advance issue filter had a default set as "order by created DESC".  While some filters could potential sort this way, there are so many other possibilities!  I ALWAYS have to highlight/overwrite this default to create my own query and determine my own sorting.

Anyone know WHY this defaults and HOW I can remove it?  I've had others complain about this, especially users who aren't very familiar with writing advanced queries, but try really hard to be self-sufficient.

I've looked through the general & advanced configuration settings, but don't see any obvious way to change this. 

Any ideas?  Or is this a Jira 'feature' we just need to live with and work around?

4 answers

4 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2022

Hey @swilson 

I ALWAYS have to highlight/overwrite this default to create my own query and determine my own sorting.

Anyone know WHY this defaults and HOW I can remove it?  I've had others complain about this, especially users who aren't very familiar with writing advanced queries, but try really hard to be self-sufficient.

I've looked through the general & advanced configuration settings, but don't see any obvious way to change this.

Your issue is pretty simple to answer. First, yes, it's the default when you navigate to a new (empty) advanced issue search. I'm not aware of any way to change that behavior, and as @Chris Buzon mentioned, it makes sense in a way. :)

So if you are annoyed by that sorting, reach out to the owner of the saved filter and ask them to remove it. If you're creating a new search, simply remove it yourself. Unless you click Columns in that search, no sorting parameters will be added to the query. And even if you click around for a sort, just don't save it.

If your users also create issue searches, they should either choose a sort that suits their needs or simply not use a sort, especially if they save the search afterward and make it available.

Best, Max

P.S. @Chris Buzon , I moved the question ;)

Sue Wilson July 22, 2022

@Max Foerster - K15t thanks for moving my question to the correct location.  I had confluence on the brain when I submitted and obviously went to the wrong community page to log my question.  ;-)

Yes to default and No to changing that default were the answers I was looking for.

I already remove the default sort when creating new queries and only save what I've created when I have everything, including sort, in place.  If I don't like another users sort, I'll resort it to my liking and either Save As or navigate out when done.

I've advised the users to remove, search, then apply their own sort based on their needs.  They, too, have asked why the default is there since most I've encountered want to start "from scratch" and also have to remove it.  

Being relatively new to Jira Cloud, this was my due diligence to make sure I was providing the correct answer to myself and my users when it comes to sort defaults and changes.

I appreciate your response and clarifications.  All the best.

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2022

Hi @swilson

This is indeed a default setting that is not changeable.

On using Advanced Search this will start out with this default to show the latest issues created on the instance.

Sue Wilson July 22, 2022

@Marc Koppelaar thanks for the confirmation!  Much appreciated.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2022

as far as I am aware (on cloud, I don't know about DC versions) that's just the default ordering when doing regular queries, and I've never seen anywhere it can be changed.  Obviously you realize it can be changed, but I don't think you can change the default. 

Created is very useful for less-savvy users because it will mean the ordering on issues tab on each project will show the most recent tickets created, but it'd be nice if you could order by Priority or something instead.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-keywords/
This documentation indicates that it's not quite as clear as always being Order by created, but honestly I just always expect it to be that way.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2022

Also, this is in Confluence's Admin space - you might want to move this question into Jira's community space for more visibility.  Somewhere out there might know more!

Sue Wilson July 22, 2022

Thank you @Chris Buzon yes, it was the default ordering when you first navigate to advanced search on JIRA Cloud I was hoping could be changed or removed.  The (default) results may apply the same sort on server, but I have never seen the actual "order by created DESC" display in the search box, which is what prompted this question.  

OOPS!  I intended to add to JIRA Admin, but just finished a conversation with my boss about Confluence and, apparently, had that on the brain when asking this question.

@Max Foerster - K15t  was gracious enough to relocate this to JIRA Admin for me!  Thanks Max!

Like Chris Buzon likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dhiraj Kumar July 22, 2022

Hi Swilson,

As per my knowledge, we can do the customize sorting of issues. I am sharing one link may be it will be helpful for your needs.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/filtering-issues-962968235.html

Right now currently I am not using Jira so tried to search above link for finding proper solution. After that any query let me will try to response

Sue Wilson July 22, 2022

@Dhiraj Kumar customizing sorting of issues when creating a filter is not a problem.  I was looking to see if the default sort could be changed to something else or removed.  That is not the case, but thanks so much for taking the time to respond and provide the additional filtering link.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events