Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips for Migrating 3 Projects to a Different Jira Instance (Both Cloud)

Cheri Hansen October 4, 2021

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for migrating 3 projects from one instance of Jira to a different instance?  I've found some techniques, but wondering if there are some hints or "gotchas" I need to be aware of.

Thanks!

3 answers

3 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2021

Try out Atlassian's Early Access Program for the cloud-to-cloud migration. We are currently using it and it already works pretty well and is supposed to be finalized soon.

Much faster and easier than any other options out there. You can migrate it project by project. But I would also recommend creating a free test site under your organization first to test it out.

Cheers,
Dan
STAGIL 

Cheri Hansen October 7, 2021

Thank you!   

How can i get access to the Atlassian's Early Access Program?

Daniel Fietta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2021

@Cheri Hansen This is the entry point to the documentation of the cloud-to-cloud migration: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/cloud-to-cloud-migration/

Actually, I can't see the documentation mentioning the early access program but as far as I know, you still can't access the features by default, yet. You need to create an Atlassian support ticket to get at least the source site enabled for the EAP. The destination site doesn't necessarily need to be enabled for the EAP.

Best regards,
Dan
STAGIL 

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tiago Machado
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2021

Here are some hints from my past experience:

• Create a separate free project in Atlassian (with you and a few people) to test your importing procedures before the "big day"
  • When importing the data, create a custom field to mark from which project that issue is coming from - if this field won't be used in the future, you can drop it later. But if anyone asks for a custom query/board/dashboard, this one may be useful
  • The attachments are the riskier part of the export/import procedure. Be sure to validate they were imported correctly

Regards and success !!

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2021

I need a little more background before providing a proper answer for you but I’ll give it a shot. 🤓

Is the source instance server, cloud, or data center? You state that both are cloud but I didn’t want to assume you’re migrating cloud-cloud without clarification.

If both instances are cloud and you can hold off for a bit, I believe Atlassian plans to release their cloud-to-cloud migration tool this quarter. But the roadmap could change and it may not get released until next year. So be sure to follow up on the roadmap.  

If it can’t wait and both are cloud instances, then you’ll have to make a “server” backup of your cloud instance and pull it down into a server version of Jira. Once the server instance is operational, you’ll need to restore the backup you took in the cloud to this server instance. Then using the migration tool, you’ll be able to select the desired project(s) and migrate to the desired instance(s).

If the source instance is server or data center, then you should be able to simply install the migration assistant and migrate them as I describe at the end of the previous paragraph.

Now, if you only care about the issues and not the project and it’s configuration, then you can export the desired issues to a csv file and then import them into the target instance.

Please note that this approach will not migrate attachments nor the issue history and may break links in the tickets—-unlike the other methods described above.

Let me know if you need further clarification. 

Cheri Hansen October 7, 2021

Sorry that i was not clear.  Both instances are cloud.   

Thank you for your help!  I'll be paying attention to the status of the cloud-to-cloud migration too.

Have a good day!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events