You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!
Join now to unlock these features and more
We have test cases in Jira that are prepared in Confluence by analytics and then copied to Excel/CSV and imported to Jira. The process is pretty straightforward - just look at @Joseph Chung Yin comment. I will add some tips.
1. Jira will create new custom fields for most columns in your CSV (if it does not find anything appropriate). I prefer to put it under control and create fields first and import afterwards.
2. If you need issue linking then use counter in Excel (e.g. A2 is one, A3 is $A2 + 1 and so on). Call this column Issue ID. Second column should be Parent ID. Use the same ID for children of a parent. See table below
3. We use special issue types for test cases and test suits with own workflows. You can have issue type column as well.
4. When importing you can map CSV columns to alternative fields. Or skip unneeded columns. It can be especially useful if you use formulas in Excel to format Description with wiki style tags. Then you can skip columns that form description.
E.g. this is formula we use for Description
=IF(J2="", "h2. Precondition"&CHAR(10)&G2&CHAR(10)&"h2. Final result"&CHAR(10)&K2&CHAR(10)&"h2. Links"&CHAR(10)&"https://google.com"&CHAR(10)&"https://yahoo.com", "h2. Step "&L2-M2&CHAR(10)&J2&CHAR(10)&"h2. Expected result"&CHAR(10)&K2)
5. It will take you several iterations to learn to import correctly. To delete issues that were imported incorrectly go to filters screen and select latest issues like this:
project = TEST and issuekey > TEST-222
Then use bulk change and delete them all
| Issue ID | Parent ID | Summary | Description | Issue Type |
| 1 | 1 | Test Suite 1 | | Test Suite |
| 2 | 1 | Test Case 1.1 | | Test Case |
| 3 | 1 | Test Case 1.2 | | Test Case |
| 4 | 4 | Test Suite 2 | | Test Suite |
| 5 | 4 | Test Case 2.1 | | Test Case |
Welcome to the community.
Here is the reference on using CSV files to create issues -
Hope this helps.
Best, Joseph Chung Yin
Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team
Hope this helps,