Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding converting manual tasks into recurring ones

Jorge Alastuey July 17, 2023

Hello everyone,

I have a question for which I can't find an answer or I might be a bit clumsy. I would like to turn a manually created task into an automated one. Is it possible to do this in any
way?

Thank you very much.

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brock Jolet July 17, 2023

I have configured this in the past using Automation for Jira. It becomes clumsy.

Essentially, I had to define a number of custom fields such as:

• isRecurringTask
  • recurringFrequency
  • calendarType (this was to handle our financial calendar)
  • etc.

Then I had to define a number of Automation rules that would trigger daily, weekly, monthly, etc. looking for issues where those fields matched the appropriate values.

If it found matching issues, it would create a clone based on the information in that issue.

After using this for a while, we decided it was worth our time to just use a pre-built plugin from the marketplace. We're currently using this one, Recurring Tasks for Jira Cloud. It has a nice UI and allows users to manage their own recurring tasks without admin intervention.

Great Answer

Like Brock Jolet likes this
0 votes
Bryan Urias July 17, 2023

Hey Jorge!

I believe it largely depends on the task you wish to automate. 

Can you provide more detail? I may not know the answer but I'm sure your detailed response will provide context and a better answer to your question. :)

Best regards,

Bryan

Hi Bryan

Suppose I am working on a manual task and it is decided that this task becomes a regular weekly task at 08:00 on Wednesdays. Can I convert that same task to automatic? without having to create it from scratch in automations.

Best regards,

Jorge

Kit July 17, 2023

@Jorge Alastuey can you tell us what the manual task is?

As Bryan mentioed above, the type of task it is will greatly influence the options you have to automate it.

Like # people like this
Bryan Urias July 17, 2023

Hey Jorge,

There are going to be limitations and it largely depends on what type of task you are trying to automate. 

If we exclude talking about plug-ins, whenever you try to create an automation rule, be sure to select "Scheduled" and set your rule to run every Wednesday at 8:00AM. :) 

schedule.JPG

Like Kit likes this
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 17, 2023

I have many single-project automations that generate tasks on weekly, monthly, quarterly, and semi-annual bases, and they work just fine. 

I added a special status to our standard workflow (Recurring Task) and I use a label on each one that I want to recur that matches the frequency I want it to occur on (Weekly, Monthly, etc). 

I roll the "To Do" transition in with the automation, since these are pre-approved tasks that don't need to go through the Backlog approval process. 

When I need a new "Recurring Task" issue, I can easily clone existing issues and move them to the projects where I need them, making whatever other edits make sense, or build them by hand.

When I need a new automation for a new project, I just copy one with the correct frequency and swap in the new project key in the title and the project fields on the Description tab.

Automation SS.png 

Like Jorge Alastuey likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events