Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get dates formatted in different ways per user? I have users in the US and in EU

Alex Brown January 23, 2023

I have users in the US and in EU and we are bound to read a date wrong very soon.

6 answers

Suggest an answer

7 votes
Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2023

I grew up a US military brat, using Day / Month / Year, and I am 100% familiar with your concern. 

Atlassian uses SimpleDateFormat, so the easiest way to limit confusion on your platform is probably to pick something like "2/Mar/2023" instead of either 03/02/23 or 02/03/23.

4 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2023

No, it is not possible.

Date and time formats are global settings that apply to the entire Jira system.

3 votes
Sue Wilson January 23, 2023

Each user can go to their account (icon in upper right), select Manage Account->Account Preferences and set time zone relevant to their location.  

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2023

Or rather language (locale).

2 votes
Eva HEIDL January 23, 2023

Hi Alex, date format applies globally on your whole Jira instance, but you can choose a format which is not confusing. For example: 23/Jan/23 9:23 AM (dd/MMM/yy h:mm a), or 23/Jan/2023 9:23 AM (dd/MMM/yyyy h:mm a).

Hopefully everyone knows the current date, and your users will be familiar with the new format, soon. 

0 votes
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2023

You could specify ISO 8601 format, i.e., yyyy-MM-dd :-) 

0 votes
Daniel J. Pinter January 24, 2023

It's too bad that Jira can't look at a user's machine preferences to find their preferred date format like every other app on the Mac (hint, hint).

If you're using Structures, you're in luck! You can parse the dates down to their components and reassemble them.

//yields yyyy-mm-dd

concat(
  year(created),
  "-",
  if(number(month(created))<10,
    concat("0",month(created)),
    month(created),
  "-",
  if(number(day(created))<10,
    concat("0",day(created)),
    day(created)
)