Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I add a particular custom field to a filter used in a Dashboard gadget?

LaTanya Limbrick October 18, 2021

I have a story points custom field that I want to add to a filter so it can be displayed in a Dashboard gadget (e.g. 2-dimentional filter, pie chart).  How do I do this?

3 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2021

Welcome to the Community!

Filters do not contain fields.  Filters are essentially a question asking Jira for a list of matching issues - "show me all the blue issues" or "give me a list of issues that have my name on them"  The questions can of course be based on fields, but they do not contain the fields.

Gadgets based on filters do not get their display from the filters, they take the rules of what they display from their code and configuration.

Taking the 2-dimensional gadget as an example, when you configure that, it asks you for a filter (list of issues) to report on, and then two fields, one for each axis.  The axes are for grouping issues with common data, and so In this gadget, only list-based fields make sense.  I imagine your story points field is a number, not a list, so it's not going to be able to do anything with that.  Is it really that useful to see that you've got 7 issues on 4 story points, 9 on 5, 1 on 17 and so-on?

Similarly for the pie-chart - it groups by list items, it can't report on numbers.

Could you tell us broadly what sort of report you are looking for here?  We may be able to suggest something that gets you closer?

1 vote
Helena Hamilton October 18, 2021

image.png

My custom fields are available to select the same way I get standard fields. If I start typing the field name, Jira brings it up (with the actual field id next to it) and I can just click it. I attached a pic. I'm not sure if that required any kind of special setup. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Helena Hamilton October 18, 2021

Oh, and if you mean you want to add that field as a column to the output, Jira lets me select custom fields the same way I select standard fields using the "Columns" drop down. "Dev-QA-Only" is a custom field and I can click it to get that column in the output.

image.png

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 19, 2021

Hi @LaTanya Limbrick,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

I am not completely sure if I understood your use case correctly. Do you want to aggregate story points in your Two Dimensional Filter Statistics gadget?

As far as I know this is not possible with the Jira standard gadgets, which only aggregates the number of issues. But there are several Marketplace apps, that are able to do this: There might be also other Marketplace apps, that are able to do that: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=sum%20up%20values

I can confirm that your use case is possible with our app Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards, as you can see in the screenshot. With our statistics gadgets you can aggregate the values of any Jira number field.

quick-filters-jira_sum-up-story-points_gadget.png

If you want to test our app without installation, you can check out our demo dashboards.

LaTanya Limbrick October 19, 2021

Thank you for this response - it is exactly what I want to do.  What is the cost for your app?

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 20, 2021

You're welcome, @LaTanya Limbrick.

The pricing is handled by Atlassian and depends on the size and billing cycle of your Jira instance. 

You can calculate the pricing for your instance here. Please read "How do I determine my Cloud pricing?" in the pricing FAQ below to make sure to enter the correct user count.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events