Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi. Would you recommend Jira or Confluence as the better software for a scrum?

Tanya Bunge May 14, 2022

I am new to both Jira and Confluence.  I know that they can be used together, but if one was only using one of them, which would be the better to document a scrum please, in your opinion; and why?

4 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
N/A May 14, 2022

Honestly the two products are very different.

1. Jira is for supporting a Scrum or Kanban team to achieve their outcomes
  2. Confluence is essentially a very fancy wiki.  While confluence can do all sorts of other things with plugins, this is essentially what they are for at their core.

In short, use Jira.  Of course I'm reading a bit into your question though, as saying 'document a scrum' could be taken different ways.

Hope that helps.

Tanya Bunge May 15, 2022

Hi Marshalleq, 

Thank you kindly for taking the time to answer my question.  Your comments have been very helpful to me indeed.  Much, much appreciated.

Have a wonderful day.

Kind regards,

Tanya B.

Like N/A likes this
3 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2022

@Tanya Bunge -

Welcome to the community first of all.  In my option, you should start with Jira Software and conduct/setup the Scrum process first.  This will give you the actual hands-on experience with running/planning a scrum.  You can then supplement the scrum with Confluence reference on documenting the best practices/concepts for your scrum team.

Use Confluence for process documentation and Jira Software for the actual implementation.  You can include your actual results from Jira Software (i.e. issue listing/sprint velocity reports) to represent actual facts to validate/support your process definitions for your company.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin, MSBA/CSM

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Tanya Bunge May 15, 2022

Thank you Joseph.  This has been very helpful to me being a newby with regards to both Jira and Confluence.  I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.  Warm regards,

Tanya.

1 vote
Daniel McDermott May 14, 2022

To document a process I would say confluence but there are better process documentation tools on the market. In my opinion, Confluence only really works well when you have Jira as well

Tanya Bunge May 15, 2022

Thank you, Daniel.  I appreciate your taking the time to answer my query.  I am also of the opinion that integrating the two is the better option, from the little I have seen so far.  

Kind regards,

Tanya.

0 votes
Tanya Bunge May 14, 2022

From the little I know, it seems to me that one would do well to create the issue in Jira but document the actual scrum in Confluence, and the step-by-step process will be on record in Confluence but only the results of the scrum transferred to Jira.  Does that sound right to you please?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events