Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems assigning a task to a user in a project

Andrew June 7, 2022

Hello. I am very new to Jira and I am working with a Kanban board using a small test project. I am on a Premium edition of Jira. I am sorry if this is a stupid question but I am brand new to this and have posted a support ticket about this but I am getting no response from Jira support.

I cannot seem to be able to assign a task to a user other than myself even though I am the administrator and I have added another user to the project. If I create a child of the task, then I am able to assign any child task to a member in the project. I would think it is important to be able to assign tasks to other users and not just children of a task. I am also not sure how to create a subtask as I have seen this documented but cannot see this option in my interface. I am honestly finding this all very confusing and I am hoping to get someone to help me get over the initial issues that I am running up against.

6 answers

Suggest an answer

2 votes
AA_PH June 7, 2022

Hi @Andrew hope this helps...

When creating KANBAN from scratch, you will be presented with an option to choose between TEAM MANAGED or COMPANY MANAGED

1. Team-managed - Set up and maintained by your team.

For teams who want to control their own working processes and practices in a self-contained space. Mix and match agile features to support your team as you grow in size and complexity.

You will see “Access”, choose between: Private, Limited, Open

Once you created the project…

1. ASSIGN: You will be re-directed to a “board” you will see here a search field with your acct icon and a “add account” icon or “+”, you will need to add people here first, refresh your page and then you should be able to assign to that person already
  2. CREATE SUBTASK: You can see “CREATE” button at the top-center of your page, you can create an EPIC or TASK. To create a sub-task, open ticket and click “ADD A CHILD ISSUE”

1. Company-managed - Set up and maintained by your Jira admins

For teams who want to work with other teams across many projects in a standard way. Encourage and promote organizational best practices and processes through a shared configuration.

Once you created the project…

1. ASSIGN: You will be re-directed to a Kanban “board”, all users will have by default access and tickets can be assigned to them
  2. CREATE SUBTASK: You can see “CREATE” button at the top-center of your page, you can create a STORY, TASK, BUG or EPIC. To create a sub-task, open ticket and click “CREATE A SUBTASK”

Lastly, since you’re new, do not be scared to create and delete projects, to delete, in the page header, you can see PROJECTS, click that, choose, “view all projects”, find your project, click the three dots in the far right and choose “move tot trash”

All the best @Andrew 

1 vote
Muhammad Zubair June 7, 2022

Hi @Andrew

May be you need to check your project's permission scheme (under project settings). There is a permission 'assignable user'. You need to make sure that other user is assigned one of the project's roles or is in a group which are written in 'assignable user' section in the permission scheme. 

To check user role:

1. From your project's sidebar, select Project settings > People. In a team-managed service project, select Service project settings > People.

2. You'll see all the people and groups associated with each project role. 

To check permission scheme:

1. From the project's sidebar, select Project settings to view the project's settings.

2. Select Permissions from the sidebar. This displays the current permissions scheme.

Andrew June 7, 2022

Hello Muhammad. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me with such detail.

I accessed the Project Settings but there is no "People" item listed.

There is also no "Permissions" item in the side bar. The most relevant item I can see is "Access". I can then see myself and the other user I added who is listed as a "Member". However there are no permissions schemes to see or assign.

Thank you again for your suggestion.

0 votes
Sarah Elmer June 7, 2022

Every Project must have items designed and appointed to it to make it work properly. Once of these items is the Permission Scheme. You can find Permission Schemes by clicking on Settings (cog emblem at top left of your dashboard), then click on Issues. At the bottom of the list on the left, you will see Permission Schemes. Once you click on Permission Schemes, you can then create a new one (Add Permission Scheme). Name your scheme and what it's purpose is. By clicking Add it will take you to where it will allow you to add Roles, Users or Groups to different items, one being Assignable User.  By adding this User/Group/Role they will be able to be assigned the ticket. 

0 votes
Sarah Elmer June 7, 2022

Have you created a Permission Scheme that includes the other user the ability to be assigned a task?

0 votes
Chris Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

There are two things to check.

1. Close your browser and try again. Sometimes it holds onto old settings, but this is uncommon.

2. There is a feature called "Permission Helper". Try using that and let us know if it is green or what the error message says.

Andrew June 7, 2022

Hi Chris.

Thank you for your suggestion. I cannot find anywhere this "Permission Helper" that you refer to. I have looked everywhere (I think). If you could let me know were to find this feature, I will be interested to investigate further.

Thanks again.

Andrew.

Chris Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

From your other responses it sounds like you may be working in a team-managed project instead of a company managed project. Can you confirm which one? It should say on the bottom left of the project.

This is the documentation for Project Permissions: Manage project permissions | Atlassian Support

Here is the documentation on how to get to the permission helper: Use the Jira Admin Helper | Atlassian Support

0 votes
Clare Lawson June 7, 2022

There are no stupid questions.  We are all here to help each other out.  Are there people assigned to the project besides you?   what happens when you hit the Assignee button?

Andrew June 7, 2022

Hello Clare,

Thank your for your kind response. Yes, there are people assigned to the project, in addition to me. When I select the Assignee button it only allows for assignment of an Epic type task to me or to Automatic. Child tasks of the epic can be successfully assigned to another user. I am just confused as to why the top level task cannot be assigned to any other user than myself. Is this because I created the Task?

Thanks again.

Andrew.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events