Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Jira issue from email with specific from address or subject text

Digital November 14, 2021

Hello,

I have set up an incoming mail server and mail handler and confirmed all emails sent to the email are being automatically added to Jira.

However, I want to add a rule so only emails that meet the criteria (e.g. sent from a specific email address, or have certain words in the subject) are added to Jira. I can't see how to add any such rules in the https://yoursite.atlassian.net/secure/admin/IncomingMailServers.jspa configuration.

Has anyone done this? And if so, how?

(Using Jira Cloud)

Thanks, Nat

3 answers

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2021

Hi @Digital 

Instead of Managing it in Jira, Create a rule in the Email Application to send the mails coming from a Specific Email to a Separate Folder and then add the folder in Incoming Mail Handler in Jira. Voila, It's solved! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Pramodh

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2021

Totally agree with this solution.

Like Ng Alan likes this
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2022

Hi, 

I presume this solution works in reverse too?

So if I want all emails in the inbox processed, but if I set a rule to move specific senders to another folder than Jira won't process that folder.

Thanks,

Suzi

Like Ng Alan likes this
0 votes
Amir Katz (Outseer)
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2021

Another solution is to use a paid add-on.

There are two that I'm familiar with:

JEMH (Jira Enterprise Mail Handler): https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/4832/enterprise-mail-handler-for-jira-jemh?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

JEMH connects to your mail server and monitors a specific inbox (e.g. mails-for-jira@mycompany.org). Any mail that matches the defined criteria is picked up and processed. Processing can include creating a new Jira issue.

We've used it in the on-prem version and it's quite good. I cannot comment on the cloud version as we're not using it (yet).

Another add-on is Email This Issue (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/4977/email-this-issue?tab=overview&hosting=cloud). It's used to be known as JETI (Jira Email This Issue).

We have used it to send mail, but not to handle incoming mail, so I can't comment on its mail handing capabilities.

Disclaimer: I don't get any commission from JEMH or JETI :-). 

0 votes
David Ashlock November 14, 2021

We did this at my previous employer but had to use a script that processed the emails before it got to Jira.  It wasn’t a very long script - it checked sender and subject and then discarded it or let it go through to Jira.  Check with your email or sysadmins.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events