Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company-Managed projects and schemas

Athas Mark November 2, 2021

I'm new to Jira Admin and have taken Jira Admin 1/2 training.  My question relates to CM projects and schemas.  I expected, in this example, that and Issue Type Schema, when assigned to a CM project, would appear the same when I viewed the Project Summary.  In the image example.  I don't understand why the additional item type called 'Feature' appears in the Project Summary, but is not part of the Schema.  Are Schema's just a 'starting-point' for CM projects?  Can the Project Administrator add more item types 'local' to their project?  Is this an expected behavior across all Schemas?  Or is there a security change I need to make to prevent this?  A bit confused...Jira Issue Type Q.png

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2021

Hi @Athas Mark 

You nailed it with "schemes are just a starting point". They are indeed that. Having been around this block a few times, I do wish Atlassian had a better config for new projects that I could pick all the items I need in  new picture without having to resort to plugins.

Basically, the base scheme would be for absolute new users or those who just don't care beyond that set of items to stand up something that works. Does it fit all the cases? No. But it works.

In my world, which is a mix of Company and Team managed projects, It is exceedingly rare that I use the scheme, workflow, or... all the things provided by a generic project standup. The only time I really do is when I provision a team managed project for a group and know they will do all these things for themselves.

In my environment, I have many dozens of issue types that help me craft each company managed project exactly to a team/group/division's needs. I have ~900 custom fields. I have dozens of statuses. 

So... no security constraints. To make those both the same, you'd merely need to add Feature to one of them or remove it from the other and they would totally match and be exactly the same projects plus/minus that issue type.

Jira is enormous. It'll work out of the box with no changes but can be as complex and customized as you need it to be.

Athas Mark November 2, 2021

@Mike Rathwell Thank you for the quick and detailed response.  Just when I assert that I know something about Jira behavior.  I learn it does not behave that way...  It appears that Company-Managed Projects, are just Company-started projects.  I'm beginning to think that Project Administrators have all the rights and privileges of a team-managed project.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events