Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we change issue type as part of External System Import?

S Fong July 16, 2021

I have a situation where I need to move 100+ issues from a "story" issue type to "test scenario" issue type.  Since the required fields and the workflow between these 2 issue types are different, I was initially thinking to use External System Import to handle the issue type, update the fields where required and status.   However, I just realized that the External System Import does not allow me to map issue type for the change.  Is that true?  

If so, what other option can I do without manually updating these 100+ issues one by one?

2 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sergej Grasmik July 19, 2021

Hi Silvia,

it's possible to change issue type during the value mapping in External System Import.

External System Import.JPG

2.issuetype.JPG

IT-mapping.JPG

S Fong July 19, 2021

Thank you very much, @Sergej Grasmik 

8 votes
Elliot Reiter July 16, 2021

Hi Sylvia.  You can use the Bulk Update feature after selecting the issues in a JQL filter.  Choose the Move option (you must have Move permission in the Permission scheme of the project(s)).  If there are status changes needed because of workflow differences, the Bulk Update will prompt you to change the status of the issues.

S Fong July 18, 2021

Thank you Elliot.  I thought about this option but there are couple reasons why I can't proceed with this option.

• I need to type the issue key one by one to build the JQL since I don't have other common field to filter to
  • When the issue type is switched from STORY to TEST SCENARIO, I have different status that need to be changed along the way.  In addition, there are additional 2 fields that are only on the TEST SCENARIO issue type but not on the STORY issue type and one of them are required.  

After I sent the question above, I found that EXTERNAL SYSTEM IMPORT is still the best option to achieve what I am trying to do.  The fact that I cannot map issue type is because I have the same column header name more than once on the csv file.  Once I update the header, I can find the issue type to map.  Anyway, thank you very much.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events