Automation between Jira Servicedesk and Jira Software_Choosing of software project

Vanessa Becker August 23, 2021

Hi Admins!

I have setup a rule between Jira Service Management and Jira Software but I am having Issues with the following:

Issue 1

I have setup a rule between Servicedesk and Software whereby if I assign a Servicedesk ticket to a certain status in Servicedesk then it creates a ticket in the backlog on the Project A backlog.

However - we have a Project B on our Software instance  as well hence sometimes the Automation rule should kick in for Project A and other times for Project B. How do you set the rule so that you can choose on which project you want the ticket to create on? 

Refer to images attached.

Jira Automation_Project to choose.jpg

6 answers

5 accepted

Suggest an answer

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2021

Hi @Vanessa Becker

So you would have to differentiate between the issue trigger when the automation is activated.

Use components, labels or even a separate custom field. Use these to define in witch project an issue should be created.

In your automation rule, use an if then clause and for the if a JQL check should be validated to check if the used component, label or custom field value is true to decide if an issue should be created in project A.

The same applies for the else, but then a JQL check should be validated to check if the used component, label or custom field value is true to decide if an issue should be created in project B.

I hope this explanation will help you.

Regards,

Marc 

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

Hi Vanessa,

You can probably do an If Then condition so that if the service desk issue moves to a transition and add a condition for additional details there so that the new issue is created in Project A . And then on the Else you can do the same thing for a different condition to create it in project B. 

But you cannot choose on the fly within Automation. If you need to do that, put a transition screen on the Service Desk transition and add a field that will be used in the automation above to decide if it is A or B. It will probably need to be a custom field. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
August 23, 2021

Use a condition:

conditions.jpg

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcin Szymkowiak August 23, 2021

Check: Add component -> New condition -> If/else block :) 

In the end it should look something like that :

(with your conditions of course)

aut.png

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2021

Looks to me like you can use this Smart Value in condition to do the right thing:

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 10.57.07 AM.png

You won't be able to "fill in" the correct project in the "Create a new story" component. And you'll want to rely on the numeric IDs (rather than names) for the projects (since names can be edited, breaking your rule).

But automation CAN do this. Suggested pseudocode:

if {{project.id}} = 1234
then "Create a new story" in Project A
else if {{project.id}} = 2345
then "Create a new story" in Project B
else "Log Action: 'Unknown project triggered this rule: ID={{project.id}} NAME={{project.name}}' "
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 23, 2021
0 votes
Vanessa Becker August 23, 2021

Thank you everyone

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events