Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate setting up "Manager" property from Active Directory

Gabriela Molitoriszova December 17, 2021

Hi Jira Cloud admins!

I was wondering if some of you were dealing with setting up a user's property based on information from Active Directory? I'm trying to figure out some simple solution for this without using a Scriptrunner or any third-party app.

BACKGROUND: We have our Jira Cloud site connected to and provisioned by our Okta Active Directory. In AD there is stored information about the user's manager email. We would like to automate this to be populated to a Jira user's "Manager" property. Currently, we have this solved on our Server using Scriptrunner but I'm wondering if rest APIs would be the best way to do that in Cloud. We are using it to automatically fill a custom field or set the assignee to the user's manager from this property. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Answer accepted
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2021

Hi - yes there's an API to set User Properties that can be used by Automation. Here's some documentation:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-user-properties/

And here's a post with some good examples:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/set-user-properties-via-API-Postman-Python/qaq-p/1749565

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2021

Note that if you don't want to have to maintain scripts to do this sync, this might work:

Gabriela Molitoriszova January 17, 2022

Hi @Darryl Lee 

Thanks for all the info, I'll look into it in more detail and will do some testing with my team.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events