custom field with hiearchy

Ziga Zvan May 12, 2021

Dear all,
We need to place custom field on a issue that supports hiearchy (data is structured in 4 levels, it contains app. 100 different values) and also enable users to quickly select correct value based on text input (like select 2). Custom field should also enable us to pick something from top levels (eg. from level 2 and not level 4). It would be very nice, if we could search for issues based on top levels (eg. search 1.x would return issues with values 1.x.1.1, 1.x.2.1,1.x.2.2...) 
We need a custom field that would enable us to do this. I do not like cascading select because it demands a lot of input from developer. We have found a plugin that solves this on-prem: 
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219011/tree-customfield?hosting=datacenter&tab=overview
Is there anything similar in the cloud?
Thanks,
Ziga

5 comments

Comment

Mike Hayes May 12, 2021

If this was available in Cloud we would buy it immediately.

Like # people like this
David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021

Have you looked at the Structure apps as a possible solution?

Like # people like this
Ziga Zvan May 12, 2021

Thx for the tip. This one? https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/34717/structure-project-management-at-scale?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

It looks like it organizes issues. I would like to have select list (with hiearchy) on a issue. Some kind of product tree for a very diverse app...

Like Eugene Victorov likes this
Mike Hayes May 12, 2021

Yes, very big fan of Structure, use it heavily. We build cars, so we need something that handles more than two levels of "cascade", e.g., "Year / Make / Model". Some of our lists have 1,300+ "codes" which cascade across four select lists (hierarchy). 

Like # people like this
Kelly Arrey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021

+1 for Structure.  We created an issue link type we call "Contain <-> Belongs to". We use it to link Features to Goals to Epics, e.g.,

• A Feature contains Goals
    • A Goal belongs to a Feature, and contains Epics
      • An Epic belongs to a Goal
      • Epics "contain" Stories, Bugs, Spikes, etc. via the Epic Link

You can then build a pretty comprehensive structure with three lines:

• A JQL snippet to insert Features, the top-level issues in the hierarchy
  • An extender to pull in issues with "belongs to" links to Features or other issues already in the structure
  • An extender to pull in Stories or other issues which are linked under Epics

(BTW, I did a webinar which explains exactly how to do all of this.

Standard disclaimers apply: YMMV, deuces are wild, etc., I have no association with ALM Works except that of a happy customer. :-))

Like # people like this
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2021

The apps Proforma let you do this. Atlassian bought the cie in april and if you are using JSM Cloud it will be incorporate in 2021. You can use conditional logic to dynamically show or hide fields and so much more.

https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?&search=proforma

Build dynamic forms or checklist directly within Jira and Jira Service Management without code or custom fields

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215833/proforma-forms-checklist-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Like Mike Hayes likes this
Mike Hayes May 12, 2021

Unfortunately, ProForma doesn't support cascade select lists.

We tried doing this in ProForma, but the logic to hide/show is basic it's complicated to mimic multi-level cascade--additionally, the hide/show page segments are stacked vertically, so even if this was possible, the layout is a little weird.

What we need it to be able to dynamically changed the available options in cf_Field_B based on the the selection in cf_Field_A -- ON THE CREATE SCREEN.

Ziga Zvan May 12, 2021

Thx for info. ProForma looks interesting in general (eg. HR onboarding), but I do not see that this would help for my use case. I did check the app quickly, perhaps I am missing something...

Like Mike Hayes likes this
Mike Hayes May 12, 2021

ProForma is amazing, a great app. It's one of those where it make things so much better that you just want more :) 

Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2021

Hi @Ziga Zvan 

I'm so happy to announce that our team created such an app on the Atlassian Codegeist 2021 (the winner of the Honorable Mentions award 🎉). You can find it on the Atlassian Marketplace as a Multilevel Select for Jira app. With this app, you can create more than two standard levels of cascading select.

We've also already published an article for #apptoberfest to present how this app works:  🍂🍻Apptoberfest Demo🍂🍻: Multilevel Select for Jira. If you enjoy it, leave a comment and like.

Cheers

Maria Kavoosi May 22, 2022

Hi @Ziga Zvan 

Thanks for your great suggestion. 

Unfortunately, the hierarchy of tree-custom field dose not work on customer portal. So, we do not use it for portal.

If you has a way to fix it, Please help me.

Cheers

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events