Site automation instead of Jira / Confluence Automation

Arnd Layer September 6, 2021

Now that Confluence Automation is coming, wouldn't it be better to provide Automation as a cross-product feature?

Even if not possible in the first iteration, it should soon be possible to automate things across products, e.g. a new Jira issue triggering a page creation in Confluence.

Atlassian should offer a site-wide automation hub where automation rules can be created and managed across products. And why not enable add-ons to add their own triggers, branches and actions as well? This would create a real IFTTT like automation.

I'd personally like the automation UX to work more like Node Red, which is way more usable for more complex automation rules.

2 comments

Comment

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 14, 2021

Node Red looks interesting. Why not use the Jira and Confluence REST API with Node Red then?

Arnd Layer August 15, 2022

I’m not a developer and wouldn’t be able to develop the required integration for node red. 
also, one would have to run one’s own server. 

Charlie Gavey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2022

Hi @Arnd Layer

As part of our work to better support automation across products, we've recently introduced a new "Create Confluence page" action to Automation - you can read more about this here: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/use-jira-automation-with-confluence/ 

This new action will support the use case you've described - a new Jira issue triggering a page creation in Confluence. Please do reach out if you have any feedback or suggestions on this.

Cheers,

Charlie

Like Arnd Layer likes this
Arnd Layer August 29, 2022

@Charlie Gaveyyes, the one example I've given, is now possible 😬.

But that's not what I was asking for.

Moving the documentation to be separate from Jira is a positive indicator.

I hope that when Automation for Confluence finally comes, there will be more steps to site-wide automation.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events