Sandbox promotion to prod by Cloud Migration Tool

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

I am setting up our current cloud environment so we can build and promote in and from our Sandbox to Production. 

I have seen the use case for using the Cloud Migration Tool to do this and wanted to know if other Cloud admins have tried this yet?

If you have tried it what worked for you and what didn't work? What limitation are you seeing?

Let's talk about this. 

3 comments

Comment

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2022

One of the major issues that I have ran into is that JSM projects are not supported. 

Like Perry Tancredi likes this
AG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2022

Hello @Aaron Geister 

Yes I Tried JCMA to move JSM Projects and it worked for us. Could you please elaborate more regarding the issue you face. Would be happy to discuss.

Thanks

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

Well, I am trying to see for our Atlassian team if we can build in sandbox and than promote changes to production so we are not building in production all the time that way testing is done separate. 
I have tried this and it seems to work for the most case but doesn't work with JSM yet. 
I am thinking that be able to create schemes and screens and move them would be a better way to do this. 

I know you can migrate your current cloud instance and projects to the sandbox to have a copy and make changes in sandbox and then move them back. 

I am just curious how other teams are using this and if it works for them and what your roadblocks might be. If they are the same roadblocks are team will face etc. 

Like Perry Tancredi likes this
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 26, 2022

Unfortunately, it is not possible to promote a sandbox environment to a production environment. You can use the sandbox environment to test settings, after you have found something that works for you, you need to manually transfer that to the production environment.

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

@Paul Wiggers It is possible with the cloud migration tool. Its only usable for JSW, and JWM at this time though. I have tested this and it does work for specific projects. You can use the JCMA cloud to cloud from Systems settings. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

You can always use an app like "Project Configurator" to promote the changes.

I heard some time ago that Atlassian is working on a native solution for it but in the meantime if you have a lot of development on your sandbox this could be a bandaid.

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 27, 2022

Thanks I will look into that. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events