If you could choose one word to describe the life of a Jira admin, what would it be?

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 18, 2021

If you could choose one word to describe the life of a Jira admin, what would it be and why!? You can also use a gif to accompany your word. 

Looking forward to these answers :) 

40 comments

Comment

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

For me its all either Ocean or Sky 😎

happy-dance-icegif-12

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 18, 2021

Interesting @Pramodh M ! Why did you choose those words? Love that gif :) 

Like # people like this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 18, 2021

We hear that Atlassian releases new features in Cloud so often, so it's improving day by day and we should keep the pace and momentum!

That's the reason I chose those words to be exact! 😄

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 18, 2021

I get it! Especially because clouds are in the sky 😆

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Varied

I never know what the next question / request / fault is going to be.

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 18, 2021

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - love that. Sounds like being an admin keeps you on your toes. Have you ever been completely surprised by a request? 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Many times. 

I think that's part of what made me turn to consultancy - asking people why they want such a strange or torturous thing to be done, and why they don't want to do it the easy way.

Like # people like this
Wouter Bruinings
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2022

I need a word to describe this feeling as it is the story of my life.

Like # people like this
Stéphane Veraart April 12, 2022

Let's say we all like to be surprised, @Wouter

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Prioritize

Always keep on prioritizing new service requests or changes to be implemented, bugs or problems to be fixed, etc.

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 19, 2021

Yes, this is the word that I would think of! Super power: prioritization

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Satisfying

Because I love to create new processes and help teams be more productive. And, I get to have some control how things are setup. :-)  And Atlassian tools help me to do all of that.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 18, 2021

Duty. 👮‍♂️

If you're a junior admin, you're working extra hard to fulfill requests and unblock your teams.

If you're an experienced admin, you're working extra hard to make your own life easier through proper governance (plus having tough discussions with your teams on why you have the policies that you do) and automation.

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 19, 2021

giphy.gif

@Dave Liao love it!

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2021

Variety! 

Always something new to do

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 23, 2021

Variety is the spice of life, right?!!! Lucky you to have such a spicy profession. laugh

Like Dones Orel likes this
Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2021

Mess. Dozens of developers, managers, qa and devops asking stupid questions about stupid things they do in Jira

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 24, 2021

@Sergei Gridnevskii I am certain that every admin has a mess on their hands from time to time (or quite often). Hopefully there are some 'aha' moments mixed in with the messiness! 😆

Like Curt Holley likes this
Sergei Gridnevskii
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2021

There are sad moments, nearly once in a month I report bugs to Atlassian. Last time it was the Approve step did not work if there are two transitions with the same name "Approve" - devs in Atlassian went the easy way and just selected the first one which was wrong. Also they implemented contexts for custom fields but just ignore them in certain parts of the system. There are numerous issues if you just open console in web browser. There are situations where they say my data was unexpected and it is not a bug it is wrong data.

Also there are jira issues and improvements that are obvious but they stay in backlog for tens of years. And people have to buy plugins to solve them.

Like Marius Pana likes this
Tereza Červinková February 24, 2021

Anything

Because since Im an admin, people think I can do anything with Jira - even rewriting the look! All impossible scenarios on how to alter it end up on my desk (jira board).

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 24, 2021

Yes - I think "Anything" is very apt @tereza ! Jira admins are Jack/Jills of all trades :). 

Like # people like this
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2021

Fascinating.

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
February 24, 2021

@Alexey - what's the most fascinating request you've gotten as of late??

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2021

@Bridget To enhance my cloning automation, by adding 'attachments' to a newly created task. After digging things for a while, I've found - it's impossible for CLOUD.

Every request is like a quest with an unknown outcome, I find that fascinating ;)

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
May 6, 2021

Haha you have a good attitude :) Some call it fascinating, some call it...

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2021

Absorbing

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
March 3, 2021

@Curt Holley love that! I looked up the definition: intensely interesting; engrossing. 

Sounds about right 😂

Like Curt Holley likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

Yes! I thought about including that very definition, but wanted to stick to the one word rule :-)

Like Bridget likes this
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2021

Evolving

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2021

Ah, that's a great one!!

Like Bridget likes this
Bridget
Community Manager
May 6, 2021

Yes agree on that @John Funk ! 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2021

If anyone wants to contribute more than one word to what being a Jira admin is, check out the thread Bridget made yesterday. 😅

Like # people like this
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

Challenging!

Challenge.jpg

Like # people like this
Desi Nikolova April 29, 2021

😅

Like # people like this
Adam Rigby June 13, 2022

I find the challenge is exciting and what keeps you interested every day.

Desi Nikolova April 29, 2021

Mastering 

Everyday I learn something new in Jira. 😅

Like # people like this
Donald Singleton May 11, 2021

True statement, I learned about issue subscriptions today. I don't know how I missed this.

Donald Singleton May 11, 2021

in-depth....

We choose Jira for its ease of use. I didn't realize how much work it takes so end user can have ease of use.

Jay May 26, 2021

Stimulating

Like Adam Rigby likes this
S Fong July 15, 2021

Improving

Tereza Červinková August 27, 2021

Really?

Because sometimes you need to do things that are just weird and specific and you would never think of them as a way-to-go.

Like Dave Liao likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2021

Totally.

I had someone send us a very specific, very strange request - there's an "obvious" way to do what they wanted, and I thought we informed them of this option.

After a few emails back-and-forth, a different Jira admin mentioned the "obvious" option and the customer loved it and agreed to the implementation approach. 😂

Like Mark Thompson likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2021

Exciting!

Maybe because I'm still a newbie (after 2-3 years that I work with Jira), but everyday is different that the previous, full of challenges and problems to solve! Really exciting job! I love it!

Like S Fong likes this
Cheri Hansen October 4, 2021

Negotiating.

I work hard to make Jira work for the teams but still need the ability to add some governance for a small measure of consistency so things don't go crazy.  

Like # people like this
Amit Bansal October 18, 2021

Enabler...

All scrum teams are raising request on recurring basis which helps them to meet their sprint goals and improve team's collaboration. Therefore according to me Jira admin is an enabler to all scrum teams.

Like # people like this
Mark Thompson October 27, 2021

Frustrating  (that word started this year with UI changes we were forced to accept + the expected removal of server)

Like Dave Liao likes this
carl.sjoquist November 9, 2021

It feels great to introduce people and teams to new functionality, to see their excitement.  I agree with the colleague, Amit, that said "Enabler" - to open doors for people.  Its also a great combination of tech and people, keeps it interesting and fun.

Like # people like this
Alexandre Marcoux November 15, 2021

Desperation (for having to deal with Atlassian not fixing bug/features for years)

Like # people like this
Özge Kavas January 17, 2022

I would say "fun" 👀

Because it is nice to enable people and make their business lives better. Also, it is challenging but still, it can be fun to deal with these challenges and manage to overcome them.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2022

Love the cat GIF! 💙

Like Özge Kavas likes this
Özge Kavas January 17, 2022

It's also one of my favourites! 😊

labani roy October 5, 2023

I can imagine the kitty playing the DJ Istanbul track ! <3 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events