House Keeping Best Practices (Jira/Confluence Clou instance)

Sofia Aranzubia January 24, 2023

Hello there, please can you share best practices for house keeping Jira & Confluence tools in cloud instance? Thanks

7 comments

Comment

Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2023

@Sofia Aranzubia welcome to the community. I always instruct my team/clients to setup reusable schemes in Jira to reduce the amount of clutter that can grow over time. I also instruct them to not use team-managed projects unless they do not have an adequate Atlassian admin team. While team-managed projects are great and have their place, they can quickly clutter up Jira with duplication and one-off items (ex. Statuses, custom fields, etc.). Confluence can be a bit tougher to control but you have to routinely monitor it and archive old spaces and pages. 

To help my team and our clients maintain healthy cloud instances, I wrote a couple of apps that are in the marketplace to help monitor and cleanup when needed. The biggest advantage my apps have is that both allow you to bulk delete in both Jira and Confluence so cleanup is fast and easy. Feel free to check them out and provide feedback for any bugs, improvements or enhancements. 

Instance Auditor (Jira)

Instance Auditor (Confluence)

Like # people like this
Marie Kent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2023

Hi @Sofia Aranzubia We have a free course for that! 

Jira Governance & Housekeeping: Skillbuilder course description 

Hope this helps.

Like # people like this
Miriam Hopton January 24, 2023

This is great - thank you for providing this! Registering now.

Like Mr_ Williams likes this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2023

I took this course and can say that it was very useful for me and shifted my thinking in going from a "Wild West" perspective to a more mature perspective.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

Hi @Sofia Aranzubia and welcome to the Community

Bunch of stuff out there. Here is one Clean Up Guide. Like @Marie Kent says, there is also a great course. I took it last fall and really benefited from it.

If you have the acli plugin, then here is a great article. Automation can also be used to help in governance of your instance. One more article :)

Best of luck,
KGM

Like # people like this
Sofia Aranzubia January 24, 2023

Thanks so much all!!!

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2023

Hello, @Sofia Aranzubia 

You may find the advice from this question and the related discussion quite enlightening: JIRA - Advice request: administration, maintenance and housekeeping. 

I also suggest a free Atlassian University courseJira Governance & Housekeeping: Skillbuilder course description 

For even more resources on that subject:

In many cases, you'll want fewer unused custom fields and inactive users.

Kalin

Like # people like this
Johnny FromCanada January 24, 2023

Like dental hygiene, Jira maintenance is best achieved via prevention.

Like # people like this
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2023

For cleaning-up a cluttered Confluence Cloud site, or even better preventing that (continuously in the background), I suggest using the Better Content Archiving app.

It helps you tracking the state of your site, notify content people to update or archive their stuff, etc.

content-status-overview-cloud (1).png

(Discl. It is an app our team has been developing for ~15 years, it became very popular on self-hosted Confluence and we just released it for the cloud.)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events