Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you find it odd that you can't copy link to an attachment in Jira cloud?

Maciej Dudziak [Deviniti]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 15, 2022

The standard way to copy an attachment in Jira is to make a physical copy. I mean, download it and upload again. 

I analyzed the REST API and tried to make a copy of an attachment without creating a duplicate file, but it seems it is not possible, is it?

1 comment

Comment

Darshan Mandhane June 15, 2022

You can.

You need to export the current issues in CSV format. Update the attachment links to point to your JIRA tenant and then import it. It works seamlessly.

Like Amir Katz (Outseer) likes this
Maciej Dudziak [Deviniti]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 15, 2022

Interesting, I gave it a try. One thing I noticed is that the "import issues from CSV" option visible in Issue Navigator seems to be broken ( I could not map Attachment field), therefore I used System -> External System Import -> CSV option.

After import I can see a new issue with Attachments, however it is broken

broken_attachment.png
There is the same file visible, but I can't open it, even after downloading. How did you do it? There are also 2 additional boxes displayed, don't know why ;)

I didn't understand the part about changing the link to point to my tenant. I want to make a copy on the same instance, hmm

Mike Aaron June 22, 2022

To accomplish this, I had to closely follow the resolution in this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/importing-attachments-into-jira-cloud-using-csv-external-system-importer-966669960.html

Essentially, generate an API token and update the CSV with it as documented.  I guess it has something to do with the importer process having access to the attachments.

Hope that helps.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events