Adding extension to company JIRA

Martin Wallace August 8, 2022

Hi ,

I want to trial a JIRA app to my account on JIRA. I am in a company managed JIRA.

What I want to know is:

If I install this app will everyone else see this app installed on JIRA ? 

Can I add this app to a specific private board on JIRA so it is just me with access ? 

Thanks,

6 comments

Comment

Clare Lawson August 8, 2022

What app is it?  

Martin Wallace August 9, 2022

Zephyr scale or Xray 

Haddon Fisher August 9, 2022

I think both of those require per-project configurations, so theoretically they are not applied by default to all projects and users. There might be references to it though places, particularly to project admins.

Haddon Fisher August 8, 2022

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: All Jira add-ons are applied "instance-wide", so you wouldn't be able to licence or otherwise trial them in only one project unless the add-on has this functionality.

In a few cases, the add-on itself has configuration options which might let you "hide" it from a particular project. I've generally only seen this when it's relevant to how the add-on works. For example, a QA add-on might let you specify which projects do software development (and therefore need QA). 

Like # people like this
Lorenzo Phillips
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

It depends on the app. A general rule of thumb is to expect “everyone” to see the app after it is installed—unless it’s admin-based, then only the admins would see it. Some apps can be configured to allow access at the user/group level. Some apps can be configured on a project-by-project basis. Also which platform are you on? If on-prem, companies typically have a non-production environment to test apps. If cloud, and you’re on at least the premium-tier, you can create a sandbox, sync your production environment to it, and then test the apps there. But more information will be needed before anyone can provide you with an appropriate level of guidance. 😎

Like # people like this
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

HI,

An app is always installed application wide.

It might be that an app has settings to limit the usage of an app on a project or the app offers limitations based upon groups.

Most apps don't offer these functions and are thus usable by every user in the system.

Like # people like this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

@martin.wallace -

Welcome to the community.  In general - add-on (once installed) in an env, it is available for the entire application site.  Some add-ons will give you the option to disable their menu choices project by project basis (i.e Zephyr) or give you the ability to control the functionality access based on user roles (i.e. Structure for Jira).

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Like # people like this
Troy Anderson August 8, 2022

Here is an option that basically allows you to have your own testing environment:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-Server-questions/Free-development-instance-for-JIRA/qaq-p/893137 It is very handy.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events