Why should we invest in Jira Align?

Lotta Löfwall June 29, 2022

Hi

We get questions now and then from our users about Jira Align and why we're not using it. Today we're running Jira Software Data Center (1000 users) and we have Advanced Roadmap for Jira.

The question is if it's worth it to get another tool to support PI Plannings because that's where the need for tools usually comes up?

We're also using Confluence for visualizing Program Boards during PI Plannings. Usually the Program Boards are tables with filters that shows status on Jira Features and Stories.

My experience is that tools takes time to learn and configure and the more tools we have the more complex things get.

What are your recommendations? Can Jira Software , Confluence and ARFJ be enough?

2 answers

2 votes
Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2022

If you're focused on PI Planning and your existing toolset supports what you need, then there's not a good reason to change. (If it's not broke, don't fix it!)

But Jira Align offers a set of features that go far beyond PI Planning. It supports Portfolio Management, Lean Estimating and capacity forecasting, dependency tracking, connecting outcomes and outputs, and scales beyond the current limits of AR. Also, the Program Board in Jira Align is automatically updated based on status changes to show where there are pending or current problems in the delivery plan.

You're absolutely correct that any new tool takes time to learn and adopt. You should only add new tools when you need a solution to a different problem.

2 votes
Philipp Barry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2022

Hi Lotta,

Based on the information you provided I think it would be worth exploring "Why should we invest in Jira Align?" in a little bit more extensive conversation. A comprehensive, professional answer to that question depends on more details like the size of your Agile at Scale initiative, the expected size in 2-3 years, the transformation journey you are on and its trajectory.

If having a brief call with one of my colleagues about this sounds good to you, it would be great if you could send me your contact details to pstaat(at)atlassian(dot)com and I am happy to facilitate that conversation.

Have a great day!

All the best

Philipp

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events