Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the benefit of creating a Time Project with type "Epic" vs "Stand-alone" ?

ja185115 March 22, 2021

With the enhancements made back in v10.76,  why would I want to create a Time Project of type "Epic" vs "Stand-alone"? 

Our wanting to tie their EPICs to Time Reporting and we need to understand the benefits of doing this?  Is there anything we should look out for when creating a Time Project of type "Epic"? 

Thanks, 

John A. 

2 answers

0 votes
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

@ja185115 

To my mind there are two key differences. 

1)Size 

- a "Stand-Alone" is at the feature level - small work, able to be completed within a typical PI 

- an Epic is a larger group of work, that will span more than one typical PI.  

If this business rule is not in place, one should consider something similar to help avoid confusion to the users and stakeholders. 

2) Intent

While both are able to have financials and financials budgets the largest difference is, you are unable to associate Jira Align time tracking to a "stand-alone" feature.  OFC - this statement assume I did not miss an update in release notes :) 

0 votes
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

@ja185115 

This was specific to updates with our time tracking functionality in Jira Align.  Are. you using time tracking?  

The key aspect was a customer request to tie time entry to financials via the Epics.  Epics in Jira Align can have budgets and financials.  The details were documented here: https://help.jiraalign.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051667713-Upcoming-Enhancements-to-Jira-Align-Time-Tracking#h_01ECXA90B8QGYPSXF8A8Q37DYE

This also provides the ability to track time (time tracking) and work (stories to features to epics) via the Epic.  

Does this help?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events