Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the implications of moving a team from 1 train to another?

Ann Bouvier April 2, 2020

What are the implications of moving a team from 1 train to another?

I have a team that is on Train1, and I want to move them to Train2.  I assume the best time to do this is at the beginning of a new PI?

What happens to any historical data for the Train and PI once that team is moved to the new train?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2020

Hi @Ann Bouvier

As you know, you can move a team from one train to another by simply reporting the team's Jira project and Jira board from one program to another in Administrations -> Jira Settings/Jira Management. (Assuming both trains are on the same PI schedule and on the same PI objects in JA.)

The decision to be made is whether or not you want the team's historical data to stay with the original train or you don't care.

• NOTE: You are absolutely correct - Best time to do this is PI boundaries.

If you don't care, then simply repoint the Jira project and board. The historical data will become phantom/ghost data on the new train for all previous periods the team completed work in Jira that was synced to Jira Align.

• NOTE: This is not recommended if you care that the metrics from the previous PIs for both trains be accurate for trend analysis.

To maintain historical data with the historical train (my preferred/recommended method) do the following.

1. Create a new Jira board (in Jira) for the team to use starting in the new PI when they will be cut over to the new train.
    • NOTE: Board name should be different from original board name to distinguish new train.
  2. Create a new Jira project (in Jira) for the team to use starting in the new PI when they will be cut over to the new train.
    • NOTE: You need to do this when each team has it's own team-level Jira project.
  3. Move all future work (including work for new PI) from the existing Jira project to the new Jira project.
  4. Map the new Jira board and new project to the new train in Jira Align.
    • NOTE: The team name on the new program/train must be at least one character different from the team name on the original train.
      • I recommend renaming the original team to [team name] (OLD) and the use the original [team name] on the new program/train.
  5. Make sure the new Jira board has sprints created on it for the new PI
    • NOTE: Don't use sprints created on the original board on the new board! This causes a corrupted/crossed sprint situation.

Regards,
Peter

Sarah Oros August 25, 2022

This worked pretty well for me, but I encountered a couple of issues using the first method of not maintaining historical data:

Some story points were not showing up in various reports until the team projects and boards were synced in the Jira Settings > Jira Integration tab.

In addition, I had to change the Program related to sprints synced from Jira Cloud for any future sprints that were created before the move to the new Program. This was done via the Teams > Sprints list. (The problem was identified by the Planned vs. Accepted report having missing data.)

I made sure to change the following before syncing the projects and boards:

• Team in the Teams list changed to the new ART
  • Jira Project changed to the new ART
  • Jira Board changed to the new ART

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events