View or report that shows features that do not have objectives associated with them

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

This is to help govern a policy that all work (features) must be associated to a team / program objective.

In general, I didn't find a way to view the relationship between work items and objectives, except if you view the work item one by one and look for links to Objectives.

If there is no such view or report, is there a property on Feature that can be checked via API to generate this information.

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 13, 2021

@Samit Mehta _321 Gang_ 

Check this out...just found this on ROADMAPS.

Pull up your list of Features in the Roadmap view and do a group by OBJECTIVES.

Shows the objectives tied to each Feature and any Features with NO OBJECTIVES!

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.24.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.24.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.25.06 AM.png

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2021

Amazing find - exactly what we needed.  I didn't think to check out Roadmaps. 

Thank you for finding and sharing this!

Like Jesse Pearlman likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2021

Some additional followup as I found that the "Progress by Objectives" report if you expand out all the objectives you can see features associated or not.  The limitation is often in our list views but if you export the objectives, the spreadsheet will show the column of Features associated as well.  Great topic and I'm going to write up a quick community article on this topic.  

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 20, 2021

Thank you, @Tom O_Connor. Both the ability to group Features by Objectives on Roadmaps view and the report are very useful.  Agreed, that this is a great topic and an article will help others.

2 votes
Tom O'Connor
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2021

@Samit Mehta _321 Gang_ 

Yes, you are correct that currently you can only see associated objectives in the details panel.

It would be nice to have the objectives related to a feature show up in a few places such as the export or in the orphaned objects view on the backlog page.  I suggest you search and enter any enhancement requests if that is a solution.

You could potentially use the API to set a TAG on the Feature and then display the Tag on the backlog view.  I'm not an API expert, but will ask internally with some that are, if this is possible to see if there is an associated objective and set a Tag.  

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.07.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.07.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-13 at 11.07.08 AM.png

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2021

Thanks, @Tom O_Connor, I will see if I can find an existing enhancement, otherwise submit a new one.

Please do let me know if there is a way to check if an Objective is associated to a Feature.  I checked the API doc and could not find a property on Features that would reflect that.

Your idea of setting a tag and filtering on that is brilliant.  That would be a really good workaround.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events