Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sort order in Jira Align roadmaps Feature by Epic view

Carolyn Suorsa July 29, 2020

In Jira Align roadmaps, I am using the Month by Quarter, Feature by Epic view, and looking across multiple Program Increments. I have the Start/Initiation and Target Completion dates populated for all features. I’m confused by the sort order of the features under the epics. The sorting options such as Program Rank and Date don’t seem to have any effect on the order of the features. The order seems random, with Q1 features interspersed with Q2 and Q3. Please clarify what controls the sort order of the features in the Feature by Epic view. I want to be able to sort the features underneath each epic by Date or Program Rank, the same way this works when viewing features without epics.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Allan Maxwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2020

@Carolyn Suorsa you are correct ...the sorting options only apply to the parent objects.  It is not possible to sort the subordinate items on the Roadmap ...as far as I can tell.

Roman Petrunyak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2020

Hello Carolyn,

That is how the Roadmap is supposed to work. Here is a quote from the Help Article: 'This sort is ascending by default and only applies to the parent work items when viewing work items as a hierarchy, for example, features by epics. If you view work items as a list, for example, features or epics, then the ranking applies to all work items in the list. Work items with no rank appear at the bottom of the list in no particular order.'

I have found the workaround for this, to see Features that belong to particular Epic in the Rank order you will have to: 

1. Select Features view in the Work Items dropdown. 
  2. Click on the Apply filters. 
  3. Select Epic filter. 
  4. Find the respective Epic and apply filters. 

This will result in the list of Features that belongs to the respective Epic and the list will be ordered by Features Rank. 

Like # people like this
Carolyn Suorsa July 30, 2020

Got it. Thanks!

Gary Larkin May 18, 2023

It's a real shame the second level isn't orderable - I mainly use the view grouped by parent to view capabilities for a whole program. I can and do use the filter but tend to keep the group by enabled to avoid having to turn it on and off again all the time. Capabilities group under initiatives, but they are randomly organized which makes reading the view and finding things harder. Order by rank or start date would be great.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events