Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roll up of State updates from child to parent

Kelley Cooper January 7, 2020

In my testing I've seen updates to State at the Task level auto roll up and update the State of the Task's associated Story, but I don't see this happening on the roll up from Story to Feature and from Feature to Epic.

Does anyone know of any definitive documentation about State behavior's impact on it's parent object?

thank you!

K

Kelley Cooper

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2020

Hi @Kelley Cooper,

I assume by your question that you are referring to when a sub-task on a story in Jira is started that the story moves from Ready to Start to In Progress in JiraAlign.

This same behavior is standard for features and portfolio epics in Jira Align, assuming all integration setting are correct in the connector. So, assuming a stand-alone Jira Align install (or a properly configured integration with Jira) the moment an agile task (Jira sub-task) under a story is moved from Ready to Start to In Progress, the parent story will move to In Progress, then the parent feature will move to In Progress, then the parent portfolio epic will move to In Progress (all in Jira Align) .

When the workflows aren't mapped properly between Jira and Jira Align you can run into a situation where Jira overrides Jira Align and resets the feature (Jira epic) back to Ready to Start from In Progress. To confirm this is the issue, check the audit log on one of the features in Jira Align.

Regards,

Peter

Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2020

@Peter Jessen is correct; the audit log will reflect these state roll-ups when they take place.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events