Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required fields displaying error message before user can create/submit issue

Michael Nguyen July 13, 2022

Hi all,

When a user tries to create an issue for the first time, error messages are displayed at the top of their window for each required field before they have had the chance to click create issue/submit. For example, (summary: You must specify a summary of the issue.)

I have verified that all screens have the correct fields (and no duplicates) and that they have been added to the correct screen scheme. I have also verified the required fields in field configurations. Lastly, I verified that the validators in the workflow have no effect on this issue. 

After researching this issue, I have read that some community members have used scriptrunner and behaviours to validate the form before create issue/submit. I am new to Jira so any help would be greatly appreciated! @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  , you've provided a lot of answers/solutions to the posts that I have read. Perhaps you have a solution to this as well? a.png

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

These don't look like Scriptrunner errors, they look like your users are leaving fields blank and clicking create

Michael Nguyen July 14, 2022

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

These errors are actually displayed as soon as the user opens/loads the form, before they are even able to click create. This is happening to me as well when I try creating an issue. 

Michael Nguyen July 14, 2022

For additional context, I believe that these validation errors come from custom HTML links. I've read https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-create-issues-using-direct-html-links-in-jira-server-159474.html and am aware that is it is no longer supported. However, are there any existing features within behaviours or the JIRA REST API that could clear the validation errors when users click on these custom HTML links?

I've conducted some research on JIRA REST APIs but I am having a hard time implementing them in a way that would resolve this issue. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events