Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program Increment Alignment

Derwin Roland March 29, 2021

I currently have one set of product teams that start their sprints one day earlier than everyone else.  With that, it becomes challenging to determine when to start and end my program increments.  For example:

PI1 ends on a Monday because that one set of teams starts their sprints on Tuesdays

PI2 starts on Tuesday 

My teams that start on Wednesday are not affected for PI2 but those same teams have this one day to reconcile (last day of sprint/PI1 on Tuesday).

I know the simple answer is to align all teams on the same sprint cadence.  Until then, do I leave PI1 in progress and also start PI2?  Will that have negative repercussions?  As long as the dates don't overlap in JA, I believe the last day of work will be captured in PI1.  

2 answers

1 vote
Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

@Derwin Roland 

Assuming that you have the sync timer in Jira Align set to >1 day (recommended is 3-5) you should see ZERO impacts, negative or otherwise to your teams reporting with a one day overlap of PI's.  Since the sprint data is synced based on the sprint END date (not start date) a one day overlap of your PI's should be a "snooze event" :) 

Tina Behers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

@Derwin Roland 

PS - your sprint end date CAN extend past the end date of the PI. There is not a system check that prevents this.  

This is/was intended to support those programs whose teams were not yet on a fully synchronized cadence. 

Like Derwin Roland likes this
0 votes
Corey King
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

@Derwin Roland you'r correct on all counts

Physically manage the PIs 

Ensure the respective teams' sprints are in Jira Align as per their Jira boards and that your buffer in Jira Setup accommodates the date-range differences.

Given the one-day difference, the negative repercussions are quite minimal.

You can also set the capacity buffer for that one team to show 1 day difference

And, yes, if they're in the same program ideally you want them to have a common cadence in the long-term. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events