cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating Jira Server to Cloud while maintaining Jira Align integration

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2023

Jira Align is connected to a Jira Software Server instance through a connector. This Server instance will be migrated in the upcoming months to the Cloud. 

What are the prerequisites and what methodology to follow for a seamless transition from Jira Server to Jira Cloud so that all work items in Jira Align can continue to be synced and all the configuration (custom fields, statuses, ...etc) can continue to work without any problem? 

2 answers

1 vote
Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2023

You should definitely work with your Atlassian team to figure out the best approach for your specific needs, but there are a few different approaches for migrating your Jira Software Server instance while connected to Jira Align cloud instance.

Using the Jira Server XML export and import to Jira Cloud is the recommended approach if you're using Jira Align. However, the Cloud Migration Manager or custom solutions will work too. 

This is work that needs to planned in advance, and it is not supported on release weekends. There are also a small number of limitations (such as support for rich text synching or hyperlink synching.)

Again, it's best to talk through this with your partner or the Atlassian team that's helping with the migration.

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2023

What do you mean by Jira Sever XML export? do you mean the backup zip? if yes, the backup zip is not the recommended solution by Atlassian. Please check this documentation : link. So we will be using the JCMA : Jira Cloud Migration Assistant. 

My question is not about how to migrate Jira Server to the Cloud, I have a deep expertise in that topic and I have already migrated a bunch of instances with high volume. I know the pros and cons of every migration path, the difficulties of migrating some apps, ...etc. I have no question about that, I know this topic very well. 

My question is mainly about how to handle the integration between Jira Align and Jira Server/Cloud so that it can be seamless to the end-users especially when we talk about syncing, custom field configuration, teams, ...etc. 

0 votes
Heidi Hendry May 25, 2023

There is no simple answer to this question. Definitely work with Atlassian or an Atlassian Enterprise Solutions Partner like Accenture 😁

It's not just replacing the tooling, but also looking at third-party apps,  "ways of working" and the change management side of things.

Rich Sparks
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2023

My friend @Heidi Hendry is exactly right. There's definitely a way to move the data from one place to another. But it's worth looking at the bigger picture and considering how new features in Jira Software Cloud, along with using Jira Align, might change the way teams work together. 

That change management piece is frequently overlooked or undervalued.

Like Heidi Hendry likes this
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

thank you for your reply. Please check my answer above, I am not talking about the Cloud Migration, or its change management. We are handling that very well. As I said, we have a deep understanding of Jira and its eco-system (apps, ...etc). 

Edvaldo Lima
Atlassian Team
May 26, 2023

@M Amine,

Based on your ask "What are the prerequisites and what methodology to follow for a seamless transition from Jira Server to Jira Cloud"

Below is an outline of the options and steps required when a Jira Align customer migrates from Jira Server to Jira Cloud.

Objective

Provide an overview of the Jira Cloud migrations options, the considerations of each when also using Jira Align and the JA<>Jira Connector, and the effort required. This information is intended to inform the migration approach taken by the customer and migration team.

Details

Today, Jira Server customers may choose from the following methods to migrate to Jira Cloud.

1. Jira Cloud Migration Assistant - Although, Atlassian recommends this method in most situations, if the customer is also Jira Align, this method requires significantly more work from the customer and Jira Align teams (and thus introduces more risk) as the ID values, custom field names are not preserved in Jira Cloud from Jira Server/DC instance (ProjectID, BoardID, IssueID, SprintID, etc). Jira Align team will support this method.

2. Jira Server XML site export & import (to Jira Cloud) - The current recommended method when using Jira Align. With this method, the underlying ID values are preserved in most cases. Please confirm with your Jira Cloud migrations manager your exact use case specifically if you are migrating to an existing Jira Cloud environment for your organization.

Jira Server XML site export & import (to Jira Cloud)

Pre-migration

1. Cloud Migrations team or TAM/SA submits a Jira Align Support ticket with the desired migration timeline and links it to the MOVE tickets to ensure both activities are included in migration tests.

2. Schedule test environment migration with the Jira Align Support team to ensure they are available and involved in the required Jira Align backend work.

a. Customer, or migration team, performs Jira Server XML site export.

3. Schedule production environment migration that is coordinated with JA Support.

a. Customer, or migration team, performs Jira Server XML site export from production

4. Customer Deactivates the JA<>Jira Connector in scope for migration.

Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA)

Pre-migration

1. Cloud Migrations team or TAM/SA submits a Jira Align Support ticket with the desired migration timeline and links it to the MOVE tickets to ensure both activities are included in migration tests.

2. Schedule test environment migration with the Jira Align Support team to ensure they are available and involved in the required Jira Align backend work.

3. Schedule production environment migration.

4. If not providing a mapping of Server sprint IDs to Cloud sprint IDs, customer deletes bucket sprints (ignored sprints in Jira Align) and uses the sprint Fit View report to make sure sprints are cleanly mapped (no overlapping sprints, etc.)

5. Setup a new connector for Jira Cloud with Jira Align Support teams help

6. Verify that the connector service account is set up and has the proper permissions in Jira cloud

7. Customer Deactivates JA<>Jira Connector in scope for migration (Jira Server and newly setup Jira Cloud connectors).

For additional information regarding Migrating Jira Server to Cloud while maintaining Jira Align integration please kindly raise a JA support ticket using the link https://support.atlassian.com/contact/ and we'll be more than happy to assist you!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events