cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map Epic Name to "summary" Jira field in Jira Settings - any possible issues

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2022

I am waiting for our demo Jira Align / Jira environment to be fixed, so I am not able to test this - hoping someone in the community can confirm this.

A client is frustrated with Jira Align's Feature title being synced with the Jira Epic's Epic Name custom field and prefer that it be synced to the Jira Epic's built-in "summary" field. 
I believe this just means that they should change the mapping from the custom field id for Epic Name to the string "summary" in Jira Settings.  Is that right?

Also, the user would still require the user to fill out the "Summary" field in the Feature work item in Jira Align.  Is there any issue if both the Jira Align title and "Summary" fields sync with the Jira "summary" field?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Jessen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2022

Hi @Samit Mehta _321 Gang_ ,

No. Do not may the Summary field in lieu of the Epic Name. Jira requires both fields on features (Jira epics) and Align is forced to follow Jira in this case. Best practice is to teach people to duplicate the Epic Name in the Summary field.

Hopefully Atlassian will either move the Epic Name to the top of the UI in Jira or remove the Summary field completely. This has been a headache for as long as I've implemented Align (which is more than 6.5 years).

Regards,
Peter

Samit Mehta _321 Gang_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2022

Thanks, @Peter Jessen for clarifying.
It is a big headache when the usage of Jira Align spreads past the initial set of users (where we trained them with this best practice).

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events